Author Topic: Energy Department finalizes efficiency standards for washers and dryers  (Read 1253 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Energy Department finalizes efficiency standards for washers and dryers
By
Nancy Vu
February 29, 2024 6:10 pm

The Department of Energy finalized efficiency standards on Thursday for new residential clothes washers and dryers coming to the market in an effort to reduce carbon emissions and cut down energy costs for consumers.

The DOE expects the finalized rule to save consumers $2.2 billion per year on utility bills, amounting to $39 billion over 30 years, according to a press release. The rules are also expected to reduce 71 million metric tons of carbon dioxide emissions, the equivalent of emissions from 9 million homes.

“For decades, DOE’s appliance standards actions for clothes washers and dryers have provided loads of savings for American families while also de-creasing harmful carbon emissions,” Secretary of Energy Jennifer Granholm said in a statement. “With strong support from industry leaders and consumer advocates, DOE will continue to roll out innovative appliance solutions throughout 2024 to lower costs for the American people—continuing the cycle of household savings that are the backbone of President Biden’s Investing in America agenda.”

The clothes washer standards are expected to allow for between 9%-11% in energy savings and 17%-28% in water savings, while the standards for clothes dryers are expected to use 40% less energy. Compliance is expected to be required from March 1, 2028.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/energy-and-environment/2897155/energy-department-finalizes-efficiency-standards-washers-dryers/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The clothes washer standards are expected to allow for between 9%-11% in energy savings and 17%-28% in water savings, while the standards for clothes dryers are expected to use 40% less energy. Compliance is expected to be required from March 1, 2028.

Fact is, complying with these standards will double Energy and water use.  Clothes wont get clean and you will have to wash them twice.   Just like Low flow terlets and shower heads.  To wash a turd down takes two flushes and in the shower you stay in longer to get clean.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2024, 02:12:15 pm by Wingnut »
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

:chairbang: Does that mean we have 4 years in which to buy washers and dryers that actually work? :chairbang:
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
:chairbang: Does that mean we have 4 years in which to buy washers and dryers that actually work? :chairbang:

Those days are long gone, methinks.

I remember when my grandparents built their house (in 1973). Grandma got a brand new washer/dryer set. I think it was Maytag. Could have been Kenmore. Goldenrod color. The set lasted the entire 25 years that they lived in the house.
I’m lucky if I get 3-5 years out of my energy-efficient washer.
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Our future washing machines if the Biden maladministration has its way

Offline The_Reader_David

Fact is, complying with these standards will double Energy and water use.  Clothes wont get clean and you will have to wash them twice.   Just like Low flow terlets and shower heads.  To wash a turd down takes two flushes and in the shower you stay in longer to get clean.

Yup.  I was just thinking, "Oh, goody, we're going to have British-style clothes-dryers that don't actually dry your clothes in one cycle from now on."
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Online roamer_1

*FACTS* People who design this shit don't think about folks who work for a living. My whole life my standard at the end of the day would be to come in so dirty or greasy or covered in shit that the old lady wouldn't even let me in the house. Many's the time that the 'first wash' was by her hand, out in the yard, with the garden hose.

I have a matched set of Kenmores, Large capacity/Heavy Duty, with mechanical controls. They'll do whatever I throw at em. They'll wash a comforter. They'll wash a horse blanket. I've thrown the dog beds through, many a time. Not to mention enough water in em to float out all the grime in my own clothes.

Try all that with your low-flow POS.

Online roamer_1

I still have one of them...

Offline GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
I still have one of them...
I still have memories of my friggin brother running my fingers through the ringer 9999hair out0000

Online roamer_1

I still have memories of my friggin brother running my fingers through the ringer 9999hair out0000

LOL! I did that... To my brother, I mean. Sisters were generally too wise... And I done it to myself by accident more than once too...  :whistle:

Offline berdie

Re: Energy Department finalizes efficiency standards for washers and dryers
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2024, 09:37:34 pm »

My aunt had one of those sans the apparatus at the side. She turned the wringer by hand. It was considered high tech at the time.

Myself, I had a set of Whirlpool that lasted 35 years. When the washer died I sprung  the extra bucks and bought a set of Speed Queens. Best $$ I ever spent and the Government will have to Come And Get Them from my cold, dead hands, lol :laugh:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2024, 09:42:50 pm »

My aunt had one of those sans the apparatus at the side. She turned the wringer by hand. It was considered high tech at the time.

Myself, I had a set of Whirlpool that lasted 35 years. When the washer died I sprung  the extra bucks and bought a set of Speed Queens. Best $$ I ever spent and the Government will have to Come And Get Them from my cold, dead hands, lol :laugh:

That's right. I'll stand corrected... Them ones I have ain't Kenmores. They're Speed Queen. And I feel the same way. Bulletproof.

And I have a hand-crank wringer that clamps onto a board... I take it it was supposed to be clamped to a table top or something... But I have a board for it that I can wire upright to a tree... Been a camp feature for most of my life.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2024, 11:24:52 pm »
Just one more leftist regulation for Mr. Trump to repeal if he wins in November...

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2024, 12:37:30 am »
Pedal faster, it'll work...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2024, 12:41:24 am »
That's right. I'll stand corrected... Them ones I have ain't Kenmores. They're Speed Queen. And I feel the same way. Bulletproof.

And I have a hand-crank wringer that clamps onto a board... I take it it was supposed to be clamped to a table top or something... But I have a board for it that I can wire upright to a tree... Been a camp feature for most of my life.
I have an old Amana electric dryer. As long as I can get parts, it will keep going, and I have fixed it a few times over the years. The Washer is getting up in miles, too, but so far has been great. I got them after we decided to get rid of the Whirlpool Duet pair we had, which ground up clothes and had nothing but issues (and didn't get the surviving clothes clean, either).

Worse come to worse, I have a dual sink tin wash tub and a couple of washboards. I'll go old school if I have to, and I can put up more clothesline.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2024, 12:57:25 am »
Worse come to worse, I have a dual sink tin wash tub and a couple of washboards. I'll go old school if I have to, and I can put up more clothesline.

Yeah... It's the waiting for spring for em to all thaw out on the line that's a bother  :laugh:

Online libertybele

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2024, 01:07:19 am »
Those days are long gone, methinks.

I remember when my grandparents built their house (in 1973). Grandma got a brand new washer/dryer set. I think it was Maytag. Could have been Kenmore. Goldenrod color. The set lasted the entire 25 years that they lived in the house.
I’m lucky if I get 3-5 years out of my energy-efficient washer.

When we sold our house 5 years ago, it had a GE washer & dryer that were over 20 years old.  This house we bought came with new appliances so I left the old ones behind. The new washer is a joke as far as energy and water conservation.  The washer selects the amount of water to wash the load of clothes in -- seriously -- first time I used it, I had to rinse them twice. The water level that is automatically selected doesn't cover the clothes.  So now I use the 'max fill' option, which on the shortest setting takes over an hour.  An hour of electricity to run the darn thing and filling up the tub all the way with water. So, you don't save squat. I liked the old washer that had water level options - low - med and full.  The dryer is ok -- but to dry a full load still takes around an hour. I don't consider the new  'energy efficient' washer or dryer energy efficient at all.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2024, 01:07:53 am »
Yeah... It's the waiting for spring for em to all thaw out on the line that's a bother  :laugh:

I'll wash mine down at the creek and slap them dry on the rocks. 
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2024, 01:10:23 am »

If you wash em while you still got em on, that counts for a bath... But you better keep movin in the winter.

Online libertybele

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2024, 01:12:08 am »
So ... this is all to cut down carbon emissions and save energy?? What a crock of crappola.  You watch, they will have some type of meter on them and the gov't will only allow you to use so much energy or water per household/person.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2024, 01:15:22 am »

When we first moved to FL, we only purchased a washer in our first home as I thought it wouldn't be a problem to dry them on a clothesline.   :laugh:  I never realized that drying clothes in the humidity would take so long and then the rainy season hit -- nope -- it doesn't do much good to try to dry clothes in the rain.

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2024, 01:15:39 am »
In a normal winter, they'd freeze-dry in a day or so.
It is, but I have a basement, and can string them up in there. Besides, they'd double as a humidifier. :laugh:  Make lemonade...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:19:39 am by Smokin Joe »

C S Lewis

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2024, 01:17:06 am »
So ... this is all to cut down carbon emissions and save energy?? What a crock of crappola.  You watch, they will have some type of meter on them and the gov't will only allow you to use so much energy or water per household/person.
I'm big, I'm hairy. If they don't want to confront that in its smelly, unwashed glory, they will let me be the judge of how much I need. (No low flow showerheads here!)

C S Lewis

Online roamer_1

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2024, 01:17:55 am »
When we first moved to FL, we only purchased a washer in our first home as I thought it wouldn't be a problem to dry them on a clothesline.   :laugh:  I never realized that drying clothes in the humidity would take so long and then the rainy season hit -- nope -- it doesn't do much good to try to dry clothes in the rain.

Up in camp we'd stretch  ridge line, fly a tarp over it and build a big fire as close as you dare.
 Hang em up in there to dry.
You could always tell the greenhorns, cuz they'd burn down all their clothes.

That's funny as hell.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2024, 01:18:44 am by roamer_1 »

Online Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2024, 01:18:51 am »
When we sold our house 5 years ago, it had a GE washer & dryer that were over 20 years old.  This house we bought came with new appliances so I left the old ones behind. The new washer is a joke as far as energy and water conservation.  The washer selects the amount of water to wash the load of clothes in -- seriously -- first time I used it, I had to rinse them twice. The water level that is automatically selected doesn't cover the clothes.  So now I use the 'max fill' option, which on the shortest setting takes over an hour.  An hour of electricity to run the darn thing and filling up the tub all the way with water. So, you don't save squat. I liked the old washer that had water level options - low - med and full.  The dryer is ok -- but to dry a full load still takes around an hour. I don't consider the new  'energy efficient' washer or dryer energy efficient at all.
I visited my folks for a while and they have one of those washers. It took three times as long to wash a load of clothes, and, well, I missed my washer back home.

C S Lewis