Author Topic: White House: Inflation ‘Very Close to Normal’ and Prices ‘Moving in the Right Direction’ — But They’  (Read 1266 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Huh?...

White House: Inflation ‘Very Close to Normal’ and Prices ‘Moving in the Right Direction’ — But They’ll Go Up

Ian Hanchett 1 Mar 2024

During an interview with ABC News on Thursday, White House Senior Adviser Gene Sperling stated that “people have been through a tough few years” but the PCE (Personal Consumption Expenditures) price index reading is “very close to normal” and “prices are moving in the right direction” and “moderating.” But you can’t expect them to not go up.

Sperling said, “It’s been a tough few years since the pandemic,” but “inflation is coming down. In fact, it was really 2.4% in this measure, 2.8% if you don’t include food and gas. And that’s not good enough, but it is very close to normal. And there are a lot of different areas where you have seen prices come down.”

He added, “I think people have been through a tough few years and they went through 2022 when you had the variants and the global economy was getting back and you had supply chain issues and they saw prices come up. And I think it’s reasonable for people to feel like it’s been a somewhat rough few years. And there may be a lag in people starting to say, hey, now I do see that prices are moving in the right direction. And sometimes you have things like eggs or lettuce or milk where prices are going down. People say, yeah, but they’re still higher than they were, and I respect that. What I want them to know, though, is that it’s still worth understanding the facts and it’s not wrong to communicate facts about prices are moderating.”

Sperling continued, “But what I want them to know is that this president is fighting to lower costs. And the fights that are going on right now are about getting rid of junk fees, price gouging, the president’s brought down prescription drug costs, prices for insulin. He is fighting to do more on those grounds, fighting to lower childcare costs. So, if you want to fight — if you want to talk about what we could do to lower costs for families, it would be to encourage Republicans to work with this president on the multitude of proposals he has made to lower costs. … And we’re going to just do everything we can. We’re going to respect that people are feeling frustrated — or some people are, but it doesn’t mean that it is also not true that, over this last year, people’s wages have gone up more than inflation.”

Host Kyra Phillips then cut in to note that prices have increased on groceries and gas.

Sperling responded, “To not have prices go up at all would be to have zero inflation or deflation. So, let’s talk, respectably, about whether we’re near the normal rates of inflation and whether some key areas are coming down, and they are. And I do respect that people are still feeling some struggles, that it’s been a tough few years, and that’s why we’re still fighting for them.”

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/03/01/white-house-inflation-very-close-to-normal-and-prices-moving-in-the-right-direction-but-theyll-go-up/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
This guy Sperling needs to put the crack pipe down and step away from the mic.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

People people! Everything's fine! The fire's out! Nothing to see here move along! Life is back to normal!
The Republic is lost.

Offline libertybele

This guy Sperling needs to put the crack pipe down and step away from the mic.

:yowsa: 888high58888
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

I see a great future in the Democrat party for this dimbulb. Perhaps she should be Slow Joe's running mate.
Dems in the Va. legislature have a plan to help Virginia families deal with inflation, and deal with their $1.6 billion tax increase. Just buy generic brands!

https://twitter.com/vahousegop/status/1762948497110642943
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
White House: Inflation ‘Very Close to NEW Normal’ and Prices ‘Moving in the Right Direction’ — But They’ll Go Up And up, and up, and up......

Offline DefiantMassRINO

I miss old normal.

Don't piss on my leg and tell me it's raining.

People don't like themselves and their concerns summarily dismissed by persons in power.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online LMAO

I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

I did my weekly grocery shopping this morning. Trust me, prices most definitely are NOT moving in the right direction.

Offline libertybele

I did my weekly grocery shopping this morning. Trust me, prices most definitely are NOT moving in the right direction.

Same here.  I did grocery shopping yesterday, mostly for the month. I can honestly say that I now spend double of what I used to and that includes trying to buy cheaper cuts of meat; I buy what's on sale (if you want to call it that). 

It's just the two of us and the cost of groceries is absurd, I really feel sorry for those with families. 

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online LMAO

Well, that’s the problem right there

All you have to do is not eat, and those prices won’t affect you(channeling my inner White House spokesperson)
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Online mountaineer

Well, that’s the problem right there

All you have to do is not eat, and those prices won’t affect you(channeling my inner White House spokesperson)
I know. I'm trying to starve myself to death, just like Bill Gates and the Biden Administration would prefer, but somehow the urge for self-preservation kicks in.

Offline Hoodat

Dems in the Va. legislature have a plan to help Virginia families deal with inflation . . . . Just buy generic brands!

Been buying generic brands ever since Jimmy Carter urged me to do so back in the late 70s.  Stupid Democrats.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online GtHawk

I know. I'm trying to starve myself to death, just like Bill Gates and the Biden Administration would prefer, but somehow the urge for self-preservation kicks in.
My suggestion is we feed all those bastards to the hogs and turn them into tasty tasty bacon, then they would finally be providing something useful to humanity :whistle:

Offline libertybele

Well, I did save a few pennies come to think of it as I avoided Cheerios and Quaker Oats and other oat products due to them containing the pesticide chlormequat chloride.

Self-preservation? ....hmmm it almost seems with inflicting this country with COVID, bird flu and pesticides in our food our gov't may be attempting population control.  But our gov't wouldn't do something like that.  :whistle:  So .... then why all the ILLEGALS?   :pondering:

Offline berdie

I guess that is the spokesman's definition of what normal is. Produce and meat are ridiculous. I shop the butcher's sale, baker's sale and produce sale for items that are about to expire and freeze them. Even then, for one person, it's pretty depressing. Heaven help people trying to feed a family.

And speaking of depressing...I got my auto and homeowners insurance renewals last week. They were breath taking. **nononono*

Online mountaineer

I guess that is the spokesman's definition of what normal is. Produce and meat are ridiculous. I shop the butcher's sale, baker's sale and produce sale for items that are about to expire and freeze them. Even then, for one person, it's pretty depressing. Heaven help people trying to feed a family.

And speaking of depressing...I got my auto and homeowners insurance renewals last week. They were breath taking. **nononono*
Exactly. Our water bills seem to be skyrocketing the most, but everything is up. I've almost given up on buying beef. Chicken and pork will do, for now.

Online GtHawk

Exactly. Our water bills seem to be skyrocketing the most, but everything is up. I've almost given up on buying beef. Chicken and pork will do, for now.
I just got notice about a hearing for water and sewer rate increases here in H.B. Ca., one of the reasons they are giving for the needed increases is reduced revenue due to lower water usage.....are you Friggin kidding me! I need to pay more now because I was mandated to use less because California was in a freking drought? And as number two...inflation. So what are they gonna do if because we can't afford their increased rates we use even less water :shrug:

Offline libertybele

I hear you on the insurances; property taxes as well.  One bill seems to be higher than the last -- a few extra dollars here and there over a short period of time sure adds up quickly.  I think many of us are in the same boat. It's not shrinkflation, it's wallet-shrinkage.

Luckily we got that gigantic raise in SS so that we now owe Fed taxes as well. **nononono*

Offline libertybele

That's why I spend two days shopping for the bulk of the month; I buy meat, eggs, dairy at Farmer Joe's because of their specials -- and they buy from different farms/ranches which keeps prices down in comparison to other stores.  I go to Wally World for canned goods, frozen foods and dry products because they are the cheapest. The market is a couple of blocks away and Wally World is a little over 5 miles. So gas wise/driving distance is not bad.  Even at that food is ridiculously expensive.  So -- I made a pan of baked ziti the other night -- well, we're having ziti again tonight for the 3rd night in a row -- lol .... it's food.

Offline Hoodat

Bought one of these at Sam's last summer for around $9.  Lots of good meatless options.  Bag is almost empty.  About time for another one.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

Lots of good meatless options.

WHAAAAT? No. There will be meat. It may not be beef or chicken. It might be squirrel and coon. But there will be meat.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer

I went to the doctors and he said:
"Don't eat anything fatty."

I said: "What like burgers?"

He said: "No fatty, just don't eat anything."
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley