Author Topic: The Persecution of Donald Trump Means Turning Ordinary Activities Into Crimes  (Read 273 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
February 25, 2024
The Persecution of Donald Trump Means Turning Ordinary Activities Into Crimes
By Vince Coyner

Like millions of Americans before me, I’ve done exactly what Donald Trump did; namely, sought a loan based upon my best estimate of what my property was worth—and I didn’t look to what the tax assessor said in reaching that value. However, as part of the Democrats’ lawfare, Letitia James twisted a perfectly ordinary act into something evil, and a partisan judge put his imprimatur on her efforts. If it’s allowed to stand, the results will be devastating, not just for the political class but also for normal Americans.

In December 2020, I had to put my home on the market and move 1,000 miles away. Two months before, I’d considered refinancing my mortgage, and the bank gave me a valuation of $285,000. I thought it probably should have been higher, but didn’t really feel like taking the time to investigate because I wasn’t really that worried about it.

That changed in December when I was forced to worry about it. So, I reached out to a realtor friend (an actual realtor, not a guy with a side gig) and asked him to give me an estimate. He thought the house would probably sell for about $305,000, maybe $315,000 tops. Again, I was skeptical, so I started doing my own research. I looked at my community, what was available in my county, and what comparable houses were selling for. I also took note of the neighborhoods, roadways, schools, etc. After all of that, I estimated my house was worth about $400,000. I thought it could sell for $415,000 or even a bit more.

https://www.americanthinker.com/articles/2024/02/the_persecution_of_donald_trump_means_turning_ordinary_activities_into_crimes.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline BellyAche

The sums described in this are "peanuts" compared to the amounts that Trump proclaimed as "approximations" to the values of his property. But I will say that folks in his tax bracket DO finagle a lot and are not investigated. I think that if he had not run for the presidency again, Trump would not have been as much as a target.
Do what you can, with what you have, where you are. - Theodore Roosevelt