Author Topic: Senate insiders handicap the race to replace McConnell  (Read 230 times)

Online corbe

Senate insiders handicap the race to replace McConnell
« on: February 29, 2024, 04:47:49 pm »
Senate insiders handicap the race to replace McConnell

By Conn Carroll
February 29, 2024 11:15 am

Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) announced his intention to step down from Senate Republican leadership Wednesday, and less than 24 hours later, the race to replace him has already begun.

Sen. John Cornyn (R-TX) issued a statement Thursday morning asking his Republican colleagues to give him the opportunity to succeed McConnell, and he is not the only John expected to enter the race.

Sens. John Thune (R-SD) and John Barrasso (R-WY) are also expected to join the running, and it is possible there may be some other dark horse candidates as well.

As minority whip, Thune is nominally next in line, although Cornyn held that position for six years before him. Barrasso serves as the conference chairman, which is the leadership position directly below the whip.

I asked some current and former Republican senate aides to handicap the race to replace McConnell, and here is what some of them said.

<..snip..>

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/beltway-confidential/2895764/senate-insiders-handicap-race-replace-mcconnell/
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online corbe

Re: Senate insiders handicap the race to replace McConnell
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 04:50:56 pm »
FTA:

“I believe the Senate is broken,” Cornyn said in his statement announcing his candidacy. ” … We will improve communication, increase transparency, and ensure inclusion of every Member’s expertise and opinion. We will restore the important role of Senate committees and reestablish the regular appropriations process, rather than lurch from one crisis to another. And we will return power back to our members; there will be no more backroom deals or forced votes on bills without adequate time for review, debate, and amendment.”

That last promise, no backroom deals forced on members without time for debate and amendment, will be a key one.

Sen. Cornyn you'll say anything to get elected.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Senate insiders handicap the race to replace McConnell
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2024, 04:52:13 pm »
NO! no! and no!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien