Author Topic: Military prepares to brief a plan to get its V-22 Ospreys flying again  (Read 162 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Military prepares to brief a plan to get its V-22 Ospreys flying again
By Tara Copp and Lolita C. Baldor, The Associated Press
 Feb 28, 10:47 AM

The military services will take a key step toward getting the V-22 Osprey fleet back in the air as they lay out their plans Friday to Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin for addressing safety concerns stemming from a fatal crash in Japan, three defense officials said.

The U.S. fleet of about 400 Osprey tiltrotor aircraft has been grounded for 83 days following the crash of a U.S. Air Force Special Operations Command CV-22B on Nov. 29, 2023, in Japan that killed eight service members. It’s unclear how quickly Austin would make any decision on the matter.

The Air Force has said it knows what failed in the Osprey but still does not know why it failed. In the months since, the services have worked on a plan to mitigate the known material failure through additional safety checks and also by establishing a new, more conservative approach to how the Osprey is operated to safely work around the known issue, a fourth official, a senior defense official familiar with the V-22 program, said.

Japan is the only international partner in the Osprey program and also grounded its fleet of 14 V-22s after the November 2023 crash.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2024/02/28/military-prepares-to-brief-a-plan-to-get-its-v-22-ospreys-flying-again/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Military prepares to brief a plan to get its V-22 Ospreys flying again
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2024, 01:50:46 pm »
They need to get those death traps back in the sky so they can crash some more.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson