Author Topic: Washington D.C. Sent $10,800 to Single Moms; It Didn't Work Out as Expected  (Read 199 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Washington D.C. Sent $10,800 to Single Moms; It Didn't Work Out as Expected
David Strom 10:00 AM | February 28, 2024

Not everybody in poverty is irresponsible and makes all the wrong choices. There are a lot of different paths that people walk, and until we know somebody's story, we should withhold judgment.

That's as true for people trying to help others out as it is for those inclined to look askance at people. There is no magic bullet that will help get people on their feet, so creating a one-size-fits-all policy will never work. A few people might be helped--and that is good--but many others will wind up no better off or even further in the hole.

The Washington Post has a story about an experimental program aimed at helping single moms. They gave 132 of them $10,800 in lump sums or in $900/month payments, no strings attached.

Most of the moms took the money in lump sums, which is already a red flag. For people with no proven financial skills that kind of windfall is likely to be blown quickly.

And for some, at least, that is exactly what happened.

All 132 mothers had to choose whether they wanted 12 monthly payments of $900 or the entire amount immediately in a lump sum, a unique feature of D.C.’s pilot. About 75 percent chose the lump sum — which was better for those also receiving government benefits, for whom monthly payments from the pilot were more likely to be flagged as additional income, potentially affecting their eligibility, said David Lloyd, the deputy chief of programs at Martha’s Table.

The Washington Post spoke to several mothers throughout the year. Some used the funds to set up their first savings account or buy baby formula. Others used it to live the lives they had always dreamed for their families, helping cushion their savings to buy a new home — or just live large for a week: a new hairdo and a trip to Miami with new outfits every day for the children.

more
https://hotair.com/david-strom/2024/02/28/washington-dc-sent-10800-to-single-moms-it-didnt-work-out-as-expected-n3783612
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
That is like giving Hunter Biden a hundred grand for legal expenses only to have him piss it away on Peruvian snowblowers.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

75% saavy enough to know that a lump sum was a non-taxable gift while a monthly payment would count as income.  There is hope for America's future welfare queens.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.