Author Topic: The Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s Report  (Read 118 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s Report
« on: February 28, 2024, 01:44:03 pm »
The Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s Report
.By Keith B. Payne
The Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s ReportU.S. Air Force courtesy Northrop Grumman

Keith B. Payne, The Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s Report:  What the Biden Administration’s Nuclear Posture Review Should Have Been, No. 577, February 20, 2024
Download PDF
The Congressional Strategic Posture Commission’s Report:  What the Biden Administration’s Nuclear Posture Review Should Have Been
Dr. Keith B. Payne
Dr. Keith B. Payne is a co-founder of the National Institute for Public Policy, professor emeritus at the Graduate School of Defense and Strategic Studies, Missouri State University, a former Deputy Assistant Secretary of Defense and former Senior Advisor to the Office of the Secretary of Defense.

Introduction
On October 22, 2022, eight months after the Russian invasion of Ukraine, the Defense Department released the Biden Administration’s Nuclear Posture Review (NPR).[1]  Just a few days short of one year later, the Strategic Posture Commission (SPC), with its bipartisan membership appointed by Congress, released its 2023 report, America’s Strategic Posture.[2]  These reports, commendably, share some important themes that advance U.S. deterrence policy—most notably including continued support for the strategic nuclear Triad of forces, extending deterrence for allied protection, and tailoring U.S. deterrence strategies to specific opponents and occasions.  Indeed, many in the nuclear disarmament community expressed disappointment that the Biden Administration’s NPR essentially embraced the existing U.S. nuclear modernization programs rather than significant force reductions.[3]

https://www.realcleardefense.com/articles/2024/02/28/the_congressional_strategic_posture_commissions_report_1014686.html
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson