Author Topic: US military pulls the trigger, uses AI to target air strikes  (Read 212 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
US military pulls the trigger, uses AI to target air strikes
« on: February 28, 2024, 09:37:10 am »
US military pulls the trigger, uses AI to target air strikes
© Provided by The Register

People still make the final decision, but recent raids in Iraq and Syria had help
The US Department of Defense has deployed machine learning algorithms to identify targets in over 85 air strikes on targets in Iraq and Syria this year.…

The Pentagon has done this sort of thing since at least 2017 when it launched Project Maven, which sought suppliers capable of developing object recognition software for footage captured by drones. Google pulled out of the project when its own employees revolted against using AI for warfare, but other tech firms have been happy to help out.

In 2017, Marine Corps Colonel Drew Cukor, Cukor said that the Pentagon hoped to integrate the software with the government platforms "by the end of the calendar year" to gather intelligence.

Now the US Central Command, operating in the Middle East, Central Asia, and some parts of South Asia, has used the algorithms to help carry out over 85 air strikes on February 2 across seven locations in Iraq and Syria.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/technology/us-military-pulls-the-trigger-uses-ai-to-target-air-strikes/ar-BB1j03yC?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=ff56963228bf4d079e568b9c1b585745&ei=90
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson