Author Topic: Macy's to close 150 stores, or about 30% of its locations  (Read 596 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Macy's to close 150 stores, or about 30% of its locations
« on: February 27, 2024, 06:31:15 pm »
Macy's to close 150 stores, or about 30% of its locations
moneywatch

By Aimee Picchi

Edited By Alain Sherter

Updated on: February 27, 2024 / 11:45 AM EST / CBS News

Macy's on Tuesday said it plans to close roughly 150 underperforming stores over the next three years, the struggling retailer's latest effort to energize its business as it seeks to fend off a proposed takeover by activist investors.

The department store chain said it plans to focus on expanding its luxury brands, Bloomingdale's and Bluemercury. Macy's will shutter 50 stores over the next year. Overall, the restructuring plan will leave Macy's with 350
outlets. In an email to CBS MoneyWatch, Macy's said it isn't disclosing the locations that will be closed.

The announcement of the store closures comes after Macy's last month rejected a $5.8 billion takeover offer from investing firm Arkhouse Management and its partner Brigade Capital Management. Financial firms have eyed Macy's partly for its multibillion-dollar real estate portfolio, which some say is undervalued in the stock market.

With this new plan coming just weeks after Macy's rebuffed the offer, the overhaul is designed to offer "a positive narrative" that "is desperately needed to reassure investors," noted Neil Saunders, an analyst at GlobalData, in a Tuesday research note.

Macy's CEO Tony Spring, who stepped into the role this month after leading Bloomingdale's for nine years, said the plan to close the underperforming stores will eventually help Macy's to stabilize its sales, with a focus on customer service and updated product lines.

more
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/macys-closing-150-stores-locations/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mountaineer

Re: Macy's to close 150 stores, or about 30% of its locations
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 07:07:14 pm »
I haven't been able to find a list of stores to be closed. Used to shop there all the time, but the locations closest to me already have closed. The ones remaining - both around 45 miles away - don't seem to have the quality merchandise they used to carry.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 07:22:26 pm »
Financial firms have eyed Macy's partly for its multibillion-dollar real estate portfolio, which some say is undervalued in the stock market.

Geez, just as Trump allegedly fraudulently under/overvalued his patches of dirt with stuff on them..

Apparently, value is in the eye of the beholder.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 07:37:02 pm »
I'd rather shop at Gimbel's. They had a better Santa
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 07:59:12 pm »
I'd rather shop at Gimbel's. They had a better Santa
Seems the (Thanksgiving Day) parade went downhill, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 08:22:37 pm »
Seems the (Thanksgiving Day) parade went downhill, too.

The last one was wokeashell.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2024, 08:59:35 pm »
I haven't been able to find a list of stores to be closed. Used to shop there all the time, but the locations closest to me already have closed. The ones remaining - both around 45 miles away - don't seem to have the quality merchandise they used to carry.

I've looked at several websites announcing the closings and it is being reported that Macy's has not yet released a list of those stores closing.

I used to shop their often, but the mall that it is in is no longer a safe area to shop.  They tried to revitalize the mall once without much success.  It's a shame what is happening to the once solid brick and mortar stores.

Quality has gone down hill especially in many retail stores. Prices are higher that's for sure. Things just aren't the same; especially since the pandemic destroyed so much of our economy.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2024, 10:03:04 pm »

The announcement of the store closures comes after Macy's last month rejected a $5.8 billion takeover offer from investing firm Arkhouse Management and its partner Brigade Capital Management. Financial firms have eyed Macy's partly for its multibillion-dollar real estate portfolio, which some say is undervalued in the stock market.

Could this be a canary in the Real Estate / Financial Sector coal mine?

That's what Eddie Lampert thought about Sears and K-Mart.  He bought them just in time for the 2008/2009 Financial Crisis.

Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2024, 12:08:43 pm »
San Francisco:

Richie Greenberg
@greenbergnation
This is a big deal.
Macys Union Square SF closing, a massive blow the the city’s retail core, employment, draw for shoppers, restaurants. Further signs the weak economy, organized theft, online competition are taking its toll.
2:11 PM · Feb 27, 2024
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Wingnut

« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2024, 04:03:55 pm »
San Francisco:

Richie Greenberg
@greenbergnation
This is a big deal.
Macys Union Square SF closing, a massive blow the the city’s retail core, employment, draw for shoppers, restaurants. Further signs the weak economy, organized theft, online competition are taking its toll.
2:11 PM · Feb 27, 2024

On the plus side less foot traffic to disturb the illegal's and homeless in their natural habitat.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2024, 04:11:01 pm »
Sad to see any brick and mortar business suffer.  Still no doubt that the mail order, Amazon phenmenom is killing 'em.  That is why I tell everyone, if you value being able to put your hands on a purchase befre buying, it might be worth spending an exta 5%-10% at the store instead of helping Amazon make them extinct.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.