Author Topic: California DAs finally getting tough on drug dealers after failure of treatment-based sentencing as  (Read 908 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

California DAs finally getting tough on drug dealers after failure of treatment-based sentencing as OD deaths mount

By Social Links forChris Nesi
Published Feb. 26, 2024, 4:19 p.m. ET

Faced with a surging fentanyl death toll, a growing number of prosecutors in woke San Francisco and the surrounding Bay Area have finally started pursuing stiff jail terms — including life sentences — for drug dealers whose customers wind up overdosing.

The move is a reversal for many of the region’s more progressive-leaning district attorneys, who have long favored more lenient, treatment-based sentencing for drug offenses instead of prison.

The soft-on-crime sentencing policies have historically made it exceedingly difficult to successfully prosecute drug crimes, even as the overdose crisis spirals out of control.

However with more than 7,300 Californians dying from opioids in 2022 alone and last year outpacing 2020 as the deadliest year on record for overdoses in San Francisco with over 800, city leaders have started pushing to crack down on those responsible.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/us-news/california-das-handing-out-heavy-sentences-for-drug-dealers/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:43:57 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Going after them for the election cycle, anyway.  There is neither anything honest nor honorable in people who want criminals on the street, who will revert to their same old soft on crime ways if elected.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline PeteS in CA

SF County DA Brooke Jenkins has been in office for over a year and a half, but she's only just "poised" to deal with the illegal drug use that litters the streets of parts of SF with needles? SF is a relatively small, geographically, city and county. The DA of Alameda County (think Oakland, but much larger) is so loony she's facing a recall effort. She's still full-loon AFAIK. What about Marin, Co-Co, San Mateo, and Santa Clara County's DA's? How seriously are they about illegal drug use? I have not heard any, "Oh @#$%! This treatment-based nonsense isn't working!" noises from Santa Clara County DA Jeff Rosen.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Putting dealers in treatment isn't going to be effective. They get out and deal again.

Putting users in treatment might save a few, but recidivism is high among those court-committed vs walk-ins who want to get the monkey off their back.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Putting users in treatment might save a few, but recidivism is high among those court-committed vs walk-ins who want to get the monkey off their back.

Back in ancient times (1960s-1970s) the success rate was around 20%.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Putting dealers in treatment isn't going to be effective. They get out and deal again.

Yes, they are obviously conflating the two, in order to let the dealers off easy.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online mountaineer

How are California DAs going to get tough on crime when the police officers are operating illegally?
Shipwreckedcrew
@shipwreckedcrew
No time for a deep dive at this moment, but just discovered that LAPD has just graduated its first class of new officers that include DACA "residents". 

Problem -- DACA residents are not allowed by federal law to possess firearms.

LAPD's work-around is that DACA Officers must check out their sidearm when they come on duty, and check it back in when the go off duty.

But here's the problem:  On duty someone w/out a 2A right might usr a firearm to disarm citizen of his firearm in violation of his 2A right.
1:56 PM · Feb 27, 2024
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Back in ancient times (1960s-1970s) the success rate was around 20%.
It takes about a year of treatment, half way houses, and the like to get a meth head clean, and that's if they want to (having a distinct 'come to Jesus moment' seems to help).

They face some real challenges after that (getting a job alone can be really tough), and all too often they start to hang with their 'old crowd' (who 'understands' and end up back on the stuff. They seldom have what it takes to avoid using again if they get mixed back into their drug buddies, unless family get involved and keep encouraging them to avoid the whole scene, including giving them a place to turn it the going gets tough.

It's a long, tough, road I am glad I personally avoided, and I wish I could say the same for all I have known.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis