Author Topic: US Army is slashing thousands of jobs in major revamp to prepare for future wars  (Read 194 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 US Army is slashing thousands of jobs in major revamp to prepare for future wars
Story by By LOLITA C. BALDOR, Associated Press • 15m

WASHINGTON (AP) — The U.S. Army is slashing the size of its force by about 24,000, or almost 5%, and restructuring to be better able to fight the next major war, as the service struggles with recruiting shortfalls that made it impossible to bring in enough soldiers to fill all the jobs.

The cuts will mainly be in already-empty posts — not actual soldiers — including in jobs related to counter-insurgency that swelled during the Iraq and Afghanistan wars but are not needed as much today. About 3,000 of the cuts would come from Army special operations forces.

At the same time, however, the plan will add about 7,500 troops in other critical missions, including air-defense and counter-drone units and five new task forces around the world with enhanced cyber, intelligence and long-range strike capabilities.

According to an Army document, the service is “significantly overstructured” and there aren't enough soldiers to fill existing units. The cuts, it said, are “spaces” not “faces” and the Army will not be asking soldiers to leave the force.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/us-army-is-slashing-thousands-of-jobs-in-major-revamp-to-prepare-for-future-wars/ar-BB1iYqxX?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=99b609cebba64a66bf5f7d9375d7c9d4&ei=9
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

But who will shuffle the paper clips at the Pentagon?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online mountaineer

But who will shuffle the paper clips at the Pentagon?
Who will schedule the drag shows?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org