Author Topic: This military special ops unit is so classified, even its name is a secret — and getting into it is  (Read 291 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

This military special ops unit is so classified, even its name is a secret — and getting into it is absolute hell
By Social Links forAdam Gamal and Social Links forKelly Kennedy
Published Feb. 19, 2024, 5:10 p.m. ET

A person in silhouette looks at half a dozen monitors with military information.
A new book looks at the most secretive unit in the military.
Hurlburt Field
We’ve all heard of the Navy SEALs and the Green Berets, but there’s an elite team within the US military that’s so secretive, even its name is classified. It’s referred to simply as “the Unit” or “the Activity,” and the VA has no record of its members. Adam Gamal, a pseudonymous author, writes about his time as part of the highly classified group in his new book “The Unit: My Life Fighting Terrorists as One of America’s Most Secret Military Operatives” (St. Martin’s Press, Feb. 20). Gamal, a Muslim American who fled Egypt and the Muslim Brotherhood as a young boy, enlisted in the US Army in 1994, compelled to serve the country that had given him freedom. He initially hesitated to join the special forces — though his language skills were needed, and his dark complexion and 5-foot-1 stature would make him an asset who could easily blend-in abroad. But, after 9/11, he wanted to do whatever he could to fight al-Qaeda.

“I felt that I had a moral obligation to make sure these guys didn’t do any more damage — either to my fellow Americans or to the religion that also feels like home to me,” he writes in the book, which is co-authored by Kelly Kennedy. But, joining the Unit first required undergoing a long, grueling selection process that was was excruciating both physically and mentally. Gamal, who has been awarded the Purple Heart, the Bronze Star Medal and the Legion of Merit, shares his experience in this excerpt.

"The Unit" book cover.
 v
As soon as they handcuffed us and pulled bags over our heads, I started to hear explosions all around me, as if we’d sud­denly found ourselves in a war zone.

From underneath my bag, I began to hear voices all around me: “I quit.”

I’d been walking for days, and I smelled sour. Things didn’t get better after they removed the bags from our heads. They asked me a bunch of questions, including about a message I’d received from a guy at a bar on the shady side of town.

https://nypost.com/2024/02/19/world-news/military-special-ops-unit-is-so-classified-it-doesnt-have-a-name/
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 03:25:23 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
Sounds like Delta Force, or whatever name it's called these days.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline rustynail

Are they Diverse?

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are they Diverse?

Hell yes!  They have a few white males. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

La Cosa Nostra?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis