Author Topic: Senate GOP fears Speaker Johnson headed toward shutdown wreck  (Read 307 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Senate GOP fears Speaker Johnson headed toward shutdown wreck
« on: February 27, 2024, 01:25:06 pm »
 Senate GOP fears Speaker Johnson headed toward shutdown wreck
by Alexander Bolton - 02/27/24 6:00 AM ET

Senate Republicans are trying to wave their House GOP counterparts away from blundering into a partial government shutdown at week’s end, something that looks increasingly likely given Speaker Mike Johnson’s (R-La.) unstable grip on power over a narrow majority.

GOP senators warn a shutdown for any reason would be a political loser and imperil their prospects in November.

Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell (Ky.) delivered a stern message to his House GOP colleagues Monday afternoon, warning them that shutting down the government is not an option.

“Shutting down the government is harmful to the country. And it never produces positive outcomes — on policy or politics,” he warned on the Senate floor.

Congressional leaders failed to release the text over the weekend for legislation to fund military construction and the departments of Veterans Affairs, Agriculture, Energy, Transportation and Housing and Urban Affairs, setting the stage for a partial government shutdown after March 1.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/4490424-senate-gop-fears-speaker-johnson-headed-toward-shutdown-wreck/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online DB

Re: Senate GOP fears Speaker Johnson headed toward shutdown wreck
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2024, 01:28:17 pm »
 :rolling:

Those senate Republicans... Real fountains of wisdom and leadership...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2024, 03:02:38 pm »
The problem is that unless you have a strong majority that is sure it can hold the votes, these shutdowns fail, and you end up getting the same result but only after a lot of unpopular ass-ache that hurts you in the next election.

Online DB

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2024, 03:14:03 pm »
The problem is that unless you have a strong majority that is sure it can hold the votes, these shutdowns fail, and you end up getting the same result but only after a lot of unpopular ass-ache that hurts you in the next election.

While that is true, without the threat you have nothing. You just become a rubber stamp.

Offline bilo

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2024, 04:46:09 pm »

I don't believe the establishment narrative. The Pub Establishment Loyalists in the Senate may be driven by fear, but if anything the America First base is encouraged by the willingness of someone to fight on their behalf.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Online DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2024, 05:12:00 pm »
The House GOP needs to stick it to the Senate GOP.

People want change yesterday.  Secure the America's F'ing Border before worrying about Ukraine's, Israel's, and Taiwan's borders.  Stop wasting money we don't have to fund Nonsense.

American taxpayers fund the United States Government to be their Government, not the world's Government.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:18:03 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.