Author Topic: Paul McCartney regrets haunting Beatles ‘Yesterday’ lyric about his mom  (Read 180 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Paul McCartney regrets haunting Beatles ‘Yesterday’ lyric about his mom
By Social Links for Chuck Arnold
Published Feb. 26, 2024, 4:20 p.m. ET

Yes, folks, Paul McCartney still longs for “Yesterday.”

Indeed, Macca remains haunted by a regretful remark he made to his late mother Mary — a lament that lives on in a legendary line from The Beatles’ 1965 No. 1 single.

While “Yesterday” — which was ostensibly a McCartney solo song, with the singer strumming acoustic guitar over a sorrowful string arrangement — has always been considered a breakup ballad, the classic lyric “I said something wrong, now I long for yesterday” is actually a mea culpa to his mother.

It was inspired by “feeling very embarrassed because I’d embarrassed my mom,” the 81-year-old Beatle reveals in the latest episode of his songwriter podcast “McCartney: A Life in Lyrics.”

That embarrassment goes back to Macca’s mother having what he describes as a very “posh” accent.

more
https://nypost.com/2024/02/26/entertainment/paul-mccartney-regrets-beatles-yesterday-lyric-about-his-mom/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34