Author Topic: Sub Boise will begin its overhaul nine years late, with $1.2B contract  (Read 337 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Sub Boise will begin its overhaul nine years late, with $1.2B contract
By Megan Eckstein
 Friday, Feb 23

The attack submarine Boise arrives at Huntington Ingalls Industries' Newport News, Va., shipyard on June 18, 2018, to begin an extended engineering overhaul. (Ashley Cowan/Huntington Ingalls Industries)

The Navy on Friday awarded HII’s Newport News Shipbuilding a $1.2 billion deal to begin a maintenance overhaul on attack submarine Boise, which hasn’t operated at sea since 2015.

Newport News Shipbuilding told Defense News the work can now begin “immediately.” The contract announcement notes the work is expected to be completed by September 2029.

This comes after almost a decade of fits and starts to the overhaul work that have sent the submarine back and forth between Newport News and nearby Naval Station Norfolk and Norfolk Naval Shipyard over the years. There’s never been both space for the submarine to undergo repairs and money to fund it at the same time, making the Boise the poster child for the submarine community’s readiness woes in the past decade.

The 31-year-old Los Angeles-class submarine completed its last patrol in 2015 and was supposed to come to the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Virginia for an extended engineering overhaul.

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2024/02/23/sub-boise-will-begin-its-overhaul-nine-years-late-with-12b-contract/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Sub Boise will begin its overhaul nine years late, with $1.2B contract
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 04:08:33 pm »
This comes after almost a decade of fits and starts to the overhaul work that have sent the submarine back and forth between Newport News and nearby Naval Station Norfolk and Norfolk Naval Shipyard over the years. 

Sad!  Pathetic!  Embarrassing :facepalm2:!
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline AL

Makes you wonder how well maintained the rest of the fleet is.  Wonder what the average age of the active fleets is?   :patriot:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Makes you wonder how well maintained the rest of the fleet is.  Wonder what the average age of the active fleets is?   :patriot:
Unfortunately, those are linked when it comes to the question of readiness. Old but very well maintained is not so much an issue, with the right updates along the way. Old and not maintained...well, that's a nice dockside attraction, but hardly something to deter (or go to) war with.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Unfortunately, those are linked when it comes to the question of readiness. Old but very well maintained is not so much an issue, with the right updates along the way. Old and not maintained...well, that's a nice dockside attraction, but hardly something to deter (or go to) war with.

It seems, in recent years, old and not well maintained is the preferred readiness condition. :whistle:
Thomas Jefferson