Author Topic: Republicans propose blocking SOTU speech if president doesn’t submit budget on time  (Read 2104 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Republicans propose blocking SOTU speech if president doesn’t submit budget on time
Biden missed the deadline to submit his budget proposal to Congress this year
By Fred Lucas Fox News
Published February 26, 2024 4:00am EST | Updated February 26, 2024 4:34am EST

President Biden is preparing to deliver a State of the Union address before a joint session of Congress after again missing his deadline to present spending and national security plans to Congress.

Some Republicans in Congress want to hold Biden and future presidents accountable to the deadline with a simple penalty. No plans on time, no grand speech under a proposal titled the SUBMIT IT Act, short for Send Us Budget Materials & International Tactics In Time.

The Budget and Accounting Act of 1921 – updated several times – requires a president to submit his budget request to Congress no later than the first Monday in February. The National Security Act of 1947 requires the president to submit a national security proposal for the same day. But there is no enforcement mechanism for either, which is where the SUBMIT IT Act could come in.

"President Biden’s budget was due on Feb. 5, yet Congress has seen nothing," Rep. Buddy Carter, R-Ga., who sponsored the bill, told Fox News Digital.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/republicans-propose-block-sotu-speech-president-doesnt-submit-budget-on-time
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
WRONG! That would be idiotic. The more this demented old fool speaks, the lower he goes in the polls.
I am not sure he is even capable of completing a STOU speech.

All the Pubs have done with this 'threat' is to ensure the budget will never be delivered.
You think Biden WANTS to do the speech. HE REFUSED TO SPEAK AT THE SUPERBOWL!
Biden and staff consider this threat to be a gift from God.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2024, 03:00:19 pm by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
WRONG! That would be idiotic. The more this demented old fool speaks, the lower he goes in the polls.

All the Pubs have done with this 'threat' is to ensure the budget will never be delivered.
SOTU is a required part of the Presidency. In the extremely unlikely circumstance this law were to be passed, it could put the President in contempt of Congress.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline berdie

SOTU is a required part of the Presidency. In the extremely unlikely circumstance this law were to be passed, it could put the President in contempt of Congress.

It is required but can be delivered in a written form, if I'm not mistaken. I think Joey would use that option if allowed.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
j. myrle claimed:
"SOTU is a required part of the Presidency."

No, it is not.
At least, a "State of the Union SPEECH" is not required.

I believe the requirement is that the president send information to the Congress as to the condition of the country.

For years, this was delivered as a written message. Pretty much "a formality".
The grandstanding "State of the Union speech" came much later.

Prediction:
I'll take a GUESS that ol' white joe's appearance before Congress this time 'round will be a relatively short one -- short speech and then try to find his way back out the door... (will Jill accompany him right up to the podium...?)

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
The Democrats are looking for any way possible to get Biden off the hook.
They will NEVER let him make any speech. The Democrats will 'block the SOTU'.
But now they can say, 'The Republicans did it! Republicans would not let him speak!
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline libertybele

The Democrats are looking for any way possible to get Biden off the hook.
They will NEVER let him make any speech. The Democrats will 'block the SOTU'.
But now they can say, 'The Republicans did it! Republicans would not let him speak!

Good point and I bet you will be correct.  There is no way Brandon is capable of making a SOTU.  He may send a memo/letter to Congress which I believe is permissible and used to be the way it was delivered (IIRC).
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Conversely, the Republican House should enact measures that FORCE him to do SOTU!!

HE REFUSED TO SPEAK AT THE SUPERBOW. (in an election year? ... for one hundred million votes)

AN INTERVIEW WHICH HAS NO AGENDA, NO QUESTIONS ... EXECPT ...HI MR. PRESIDENT ...HOW ARE YOU?

AND HE REFUSED! !

IS THIS SOME KIND OF DICTATOR FROM NORTH KOREA CRAP? IS THIS THE GOVERNMENT OF CHINA? IS THIS THE LEADER OF AMERICA!? What are we dealing with here?

We are in some deep historical  Dictator Communist Despot shit at this point. Can he at least wave from the balcony..?

EITHER JOE BIDEN OR HIS BIDEN DOUBLE HAS TO SPEAK AT SOTU!

Or the prosecutors are right. He really is, unfit to stand trial.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 05:24:37 am by 240B »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

:amen:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
In the past week, Pedo Joe is not only lacking cognizance, but is having extreme difficulty even in reading the teleprompter.

The fact our GOP just might give him an off ramp to avoid an epic awkward and historic embarassing SOTU?

Hey GOP.....  Mr. White has y'all pegged.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
In the past week, Pedo Joe is not only lacking cognizance, but is having extreme difficulty even in reading the teleprompter.

The fact our GOP just might give him an off ramp to avoid an epic awkward and historic embarassing SOTU?

Hey GOP.....  Mr. White has y'all pegged.

Trump would have showed up there on-stage. Trump would have have those bastards pissing on themselves and claiming that it was spilled beer.
The difference is North/South. And I vote North.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Conversely, the Republican House should enact measures that FORCE him to do SOTU!!

HE REFUSED TO SPEAK AT THE SUPERBOW. (in an election year? ... for one hundred million votes)

AN INTERVIEW WHICH HAS NO AGENDA, NO QUESTIONS ... EXECPT ...HI MR. PRESIDENT ...HOW ARE YOU?

AND HE REFUSED! !

IS THIS SOME KIND OF DICTATOR FROM NORTH KOREA CRAP? IS THIS THE GOVERNMENT OF CHINA? IS THIS THE LEADER OF AMERICA!? What are we dealing with here?

We are in some deep historical  Dictator Communist Despot shit at this point. Can he at least wave from the balcony..?

I am serious about this MY FELLOW AMERICANS he Must!  Make! that Speech!
and double check that it is really him and not his body double
one day he can barely walk, the next day he is skipping rope
one day his eyes look like penny slots, the next day he looks like Marty Feldman
JUST MAKE SURE IT IS REALLY HIM, THE REAL JOE BIDEN
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 02:43:30 pm by 240B »

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

AND HE REFUSED! !

Unfortunately, Congress has no power to compel the President to give a speech or address.  If he doesn't want to give one, they can't make him.

But I do agree Republicans should not give him an easy "out" to avoid giving one because the public is used to the President giving one.  If he doesn't give one, and the GOP hasn't handed him an easy excuse, it'll set off more red flags and alarm bells.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Unfortunately, Congress has no power to compel the President to give a speech or address.  If he doesn't want to give one, they can't make him.

But I do agree Republicans should not give him an easy "out" to avoid giving one because the public is used to the President giving one.  If he doesn't give one, and the GOP hasn't handed him an easy excuse, it'll set off more red flags and alarm bells.

I agree on this.  Let him go out there and make a fool of himself.  When the enemy is destroying itself, just get out of the way.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Thank you Major Sir
do know not how to digitally salute you?

I think it will not matter much in a couple of months. This teetering wobbly old man is not going to last much longer.
Unfit for Trial was the correct assessment.

I say, welcome America to President Kamala!!!!!!!!

Jill Biden should face criminal charges for all of this. She knew he was feeble. She knew he wanted to rest on the baach with his family.

Jiill Biden knew she was pushing a 'Weekend at Bernie's'' husk of a man across the finish line.
She did it all for herself, for her own sense of Glory. She deprived this old man of the last few years he had to do nothing. To look at the sky. To enjoy the kids. To enjoy life.  Jill Biden ... wait "Doctor" Jill Biden did this to him.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 03:58:28 pm by 240B »

Offline DefiantMassRINO

No State of the Union, no GOP rebuttal.  It's stupid to piss away free network TV time to get your message across ... unless you don't have a message or your message is something you don't want to tell people before the elections.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
No State of the Union, no GOP rebuttal.  It's stupid to piss away free network TV time to get your message across ... unless you don't have a message or your message is something you don't want to tell people before the elections.

Add the fact that the MSM so carefully filters any and all Biden footage.  This may be one of the only chances we have to allow the gerneral population see how frail and demetia striken he is.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
The drug cocktails no longer work for Joe.  So the SOTU should be cancelled or given by prerecorded message with 2000 edited cuts to make the dumbass look coherent.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The drug cocktails no longer work for Joe.  So the SOTU should be cancelled or given by prerecorded message with 2000 edited cuts to make the dumbass look coherent.

Or do it in writing.  Personally, I favor having Shortbus Joe doing a live "speech" before the joint Houses of Congress.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

Thank you Major Sir
do know not how to digitally salute you?

Hah!  but in real life, I was only a captain.  The Major reference is a reference to a very particular person - Major William Martin - who actually never existed but was part of the most elaborate and successful intelligence operation of WW2. There is a link in my signature that explains the whole of Operation Mincemeat.  Very cool story.

I like it as a screen name because it is the quintessential fake name.  As an added bit of trivia, Ian Fleming - the creator of James Bond who was in British Intelligence during the war - was instrumental in coming up with the plan.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2024, 04:22:57 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

....or the first historical use of AI.

All hail President Max Headroom.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
....or the first historical use of AI.

All hail President Max Headroom.

A great character!  I saw Matt Frewer on the Letterman show many years ago, and Max was hysterical.

Letterman to Max:  Do you have a plate in your head or something?
Max:  I have a whole set of dishes in there!
I will NOT comply.

Offline HikerGuy83

• Still Trying
WRONG! That would be idiotic.

Yes.  Which is exactly why the Republicans in congress would try to do it. 

If it's stupid, it's done.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes.  Which is exactly why the Republicans in congress would try to do it. 

If it's stupid, it's done.

It's not called The Stupid Party for nothing.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
A great character!  I saw Matt Frewer on the Letterman show many years ago, and Max was hysterical.

Letterman to Max:  Do you have a plate in your head or something?
Max:  I have a whole set of dishes in there!

Classic Maxx!

The dishes in Biden's head are all cracked or broken.  That is a rare feat as Slow Joes dishes are made of Melamine.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.