Author Topic: AP Brutally Roasted Online After Bending Backwards To Avoid Linking Student’s Death To Illegal Migra  (Read 207 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
AP Brutally Roasted Online After Bending Backwards To Avoid Linking Student’s Death To Illegal Migrant

HAILEY GOMEZ
GENERAL ASSIGNMENT REPORTER
February 25, 2024

Social media users called out the Associated Press (AP) on Sunday after the media outlet avoided stating that an illegal immigrant was charged with murdering nursing student Laken Riley.

Illegal immigrant Jose Antonio Ibarra was arrested and charged Friday by University of Georgia (UGA) authorities for the death of Lake Riley, 22, who was found Thursday afternoon. During a press conference Friday night revealing Ibarra’s identity, authorities confirmed he was not a resident of the U.S. Early reports circulated that Ibarra was illegally living in the U.S., with Department of Justice officials confirming Ibarra’s brother, Diego, was arrested over fraudulent immigration papers.

AP News, however, posted an article on X (formerly Twitter) Sunday morning claiming Riley’s death now “highlights the fear of solo female athletes.” The article notably labels Riley’s alleged murderer as an “Athens resident,” giving no other background on the illegal migrant even though university officials confirmed Friday he was not a resident of the U.S.

Social media users reacted, quickly calling out the news agency’s lack of forthrighness taround Ibarra’s status.

https://dailycaller.com/2024/02/25/associated-press-slammed-online-avoid-illegal-immigrant-laken-riley-murder-georgia/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson