Author Topic: Duckworth: Republicans Put the ‘Rights of a Fertilized Egg Over’ the Rights of Women  (Read 554 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Duckworth: Republicans Put the ‘Rights of a Fertilized Egg Over’ the Rights of Women

Pam Key 25 Feb 2024

Senator Tammy Duckworth (D-IL) said Sunday on ABC’s “This Week” that Republicans have put the “rights of a fertilized egg over” the rights of women in America.

Partial transcript as follows:

MARTHA RADDATZ: What was your reaction when you saw the Supreme Court decision in Alabama?

DUCKWORTH: Not at all surprised, unfortunately. I have been talking about this in 2018 when it was very clear that Republicans were working to eliminate women’s reproductive rights. I said if Neil Gorsuch gets put on the Supreme Court, if Amy Coney Barrett gets put on the Supreme Court, we’re going to have an erosion of Roe v. Wade, and even back in 2018, I said, IVF is next. They said they’re coming for IVF. So, unfortunately, I wasn’t surprised. I’m devastated for those families that are trying to start families, but I was not at all surprised.

RADDATZ: And just to be clear, the decision does not outlaw IVF, but obviously makes it more complicated. Can you freeze those embryos? What do you do with embryos that are not used, right?

DUCKWORTH: Well, the decision is very clear that a fertilized egg is a child, is a human being, which means that for example in my case, when we have five fertilized eggs and three were non-viable. When my doctor discarded those with my consent, that would be considered potentially manslaughter or murder.

Basically, Republicans have put the rights of a fertilized egg over the rights of the woman, and that is not something that I think the American people agree with.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/02/25/duckworth-republicans-put-the-rights-of-a-fertilized-egg-over-the-rights-of-women/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 GOP seeks to distance itself from consequences of Alabama frozen embryo decision
by Joseph Choi and Nathaniel Weixel - 02/25/24 12:00 PM ET

The Alabama Supreme Court ruling that frozen embryos are children is putting Republicans in a bind, forcing them to distance themselves from some of the decision’s sweeping consequences.

Three fertility clinics in Alabama, including the state’s largest health system, have paused in vitro fertilization (IVF) treatments in the wake of the shock ruling.

It has put GOP politicians who oppose abortion rights but back IVF in a complicated position, forcing them to awkwardly explain why they may disagree with a ruling even as some of them say they believe embryos are babies.

And it all comes as the GOP has largely been playing defense on the political field since the Supreme Court overturned the Roe v. Wade decision, which led a number of states to impose severe restrictions on access to an abortion.

Republicans have repeatedly been on the losing side of elections with abortion on the ballot ever since. President Biden’s campaign is expected to make abortion a central part of its messaging this fall, an approach likely to be copied by Senate and House candidates around the country.

more
https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4486065-gop-seeks-to-distance-itself-from-consequences-of-alabama-frozen-embryo-decision/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline libertybele

It's a state issue; so why the need to distance themselves?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline bilo

It's a state issue; so why the need to distance themselves?

:amen:

If Pubs get asked they should answer based on representing their constituency.

A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline berdie

:amen:

If Pubs get asked they should answer based on representing their constituency.

That's way too logical for politicians that want to straddle the fence.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Alabama had better realize:
This could come back to bite conservatives on the rear.

Remember the vote up in Ohio not that long ago, re changing the Constitution and abortion...?