Author Topic: A-4 Skyhawk Might Be the Cheap Attack Jet the U.S. Military Misses  (Read 403 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
February 25, 2024 
A-4 Skyhawk Might Be the Cheap Attack Jet the U.S. Military Misses
The A-4 Skyhawk, a cost-effective and agile attack jet, holds a significant place in military aviation history, demonstrating that not all influential aircraft need to be exorbitantly priced.

by Sebastien Roblin

Summary: The A-4 Skyhawk, a cost-effective and agile attack jet, holds a significant place in military aviation history, demonstrating that not all influential aircraft need to be exorbitantly priced. Designed by Douglas aviation engineer Ed Heinemann in the 1950s as a replacement for the Navy's AD1 Skyraider, the Skyhawk was notably compact and lightweight, featuring delta wings that allowed it to operate from the smaller carriers of the era. Despite its modest speed and lack of radar in early models, the Skyhawk could carry a substantial bomb load, including nuclear weapons. Over 2,500 units were produced, serving prominently in Vietnam, where its low-altitude bombing runs exposed it to intense enemy fire.

The A-4 Skyhawk: Simplicity and Bravery in the Jet Age
Modern jet fighters continue to grow ever more complicated and more fantastically expensive. But some of the most influential aircraft in history succeeded instead because they could do their job pretty well at a very reasonable cost. Such was the case of the agile A-4 Skyhawk, a small but heavy-lifting attack jet that would carve out a major place for itself in American history—and also that of Israel and Argentina.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/reboot/4-skyhawk-might-be-cheap-attack-jet-us-military-misses-209603
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 05:13:30 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: A-4 Skyhawk Might Be the Cheap Attack Jet the U.S. Military Misses
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2024, 02:02:41 am »
Interesting, thanks!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis