Author Topic: Europeans are building a war economy. Can they master it?  (Read 151 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Europeans are building a war economy. Can they master it?
« on: February 25, 2024, 03:15:00 pm »
Europeans are building a war economy. Can they master it?
By Sebastian Sprenger
 Feb 23, 01:11 PM

COLOGNE, Germany — When Russia invaded Ukraine two years ago, French President Emmanuel Macron quickly proclaimed Europe needed an “économie de guerre” — a war economy — to underwrite its security.

Since then, governments here have rushed to assess how rapidly they can purchase weapons. Most were sobered by the lack of production capacity in an arms industry focused on the promise of expensive, advanced technology rather than mass output.

As Russia’s war in Ukraine enters its third year, there’s a movement afoot to remake the European defense-industrial complex into a muscular deterrent in its own right. The effort is playing out in national capitals as well as at the European Union. Officials in Brussels are expected to unveil a defense industry strategy soon that will test the bloc’s ability to unleash and simultaneously tame a market that went from obscure to omnipresent in two short years.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/europe/2024/02/23/europeans-are-building-a-war-economy-can-they-master-it/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Europeans are building a war economy. Can they master it?
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2024, 03:16:01 pm »
I hear the French are upgrading their tanks by adding a forward gear in case they get attacked from behind. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson