Author Topic: Johnson eyes spending package to avert shutdown, warns GOP not to expect ‘home runs’  (Read 1018 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Johnson eyes spending package to avert shutdown, warns GOP not to expect ‘home runs’
by Mychael Schnell - 02/24/24 12:57 PM ET

Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) is looking to prevent a partial government shutdown by moving a set of spending bills as a single package ahead of Friday’s deadline, he told GOP lawmakers on a private call Friday night.

A source familiar with the call told The Hill that Johnson said his goal is to pass a package of the four bills due Friday, known as a “minibus,” but warned the number of bills included in the package is up in the air. Congressional leaders could release the compromise bills as soon as Sunday.

Johnson warned the lawmakers, however, that they will likely be “disappointed” with the final bills if they are expecting “home runs and grand slams” in them. Conservatives have been urging Johnson to insist on a number of controversial policy riders in the appropriations measures.

“I don’t think anybody on this call thinks that we’re going to be able to use the appropriations process to fundamentally remake major areas of policy. If you’re expecting a lot of home runs and grand slams here, I admit you’ll be disappointed,” Johnson said on the call, according to a partial transcript of the call obtained by The Hill.

“But we will be able to secure a number of policy victories, both in bill text and report language, or other provisions and cuts that severely undermine the Administration’s programs and objectives. These bills will be littered with singles and doubles that we should be proud of, especially in our small majority,” he added.

Funding for military construction and the departments of Agriculture, Energy and Water, Veterans Affairs, Transportation and Housing and Urban Development elapse on Friday. The remaining eight spending bills expire on March 8.

The House returns to session on Wednesday.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4486838-johnson-eyes-spending-package-to-avert-shutdown-warns-gop-not-to-expect-home-runs/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just. Don't. Pass. Anything. if it falls short of the fences.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online libertybele

If it indeed falls short, shut it down!
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

Then you'll get something much worse when a couple of moderate Republicans side with the Democrats to avoid a shutdown.

That's exactly what happened last September when a few House conservatives rejected a bill that included 8% cuts and HB 2, the house border security bill.  Instead, we ended up with a bill that had no cuts, and no border security.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2024, 06:28:49 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online libertybele

Then you'll get something much worse when a couple of moderate Republicans side with the Democrats to avoid a shutdown.

That's exactly what happened last September when a few House conservatives rejected a bill that included 8% cuts and HB 2, the house border security bill.  Instead, we ended up with a bill that had no cuts, and no border security.

We only wind up with something worse if Johnson and the GOP cave. 

That's why the GOP is in the position that they're in; always pandering to the left.  For the most part the DEMS are unified, the GOP is not.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
We only wind up with something worse if Johnson and the GOP cave. 

That's why the GOP is in the position that they're in; always pandering to the left.  For the most part the DEMS are unified, the GOP is not.

The GOP is not a hive-mind, and neither are elected representatives.  Gaetz and Co. taking out McCarthy proved that, and there are at least a half dozen or so GOP members who don't want a shutdown.  That's just bottom line reality no matter how badly we might wish otherwise.

There is simply no way the Democrat Senate and Biden are going to 100% cave (which is what you guys are demanding) to the GOP house majority, and why should they?  Wouldn't we go nuts If a Republican president and Republican Senate caved 100% to the demands of House Democrats who had only a two-seat majority? That would be insane.

If House conservatives take an extreme position and insist on getting everything their way, the president and Senate will hold firm, and the Democratic minority in the House will peel away a couple of Republican who won't support an extended shutdown to vote for their 100%.

Again, that's just reality.   Was such a slim House majority, Republicans don't have a lot of leverage.  But if they make more reasonable compromise demands, they may be able to get enough support to pass a bill that's in the middle rather than 100% of what Democrats want.

Offline Hoodat

The only opportunity for home runs rested in the debt ceiling vote.   And that was completely squandered by Kevin McCarthy last April.  They won't get another opportunity until 2025.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline bilo

The only opportunity for home runs rested in the debt ceiling vote.   And that was completely squandered by Kevin McCarthy last April.  They won't get another opportunity until 2025.

I think Johnson also missed his moment when he didn't continue with sending appropriation bills to the Senate and insist that the Senate comply with the law instead of passing a C/R.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home

Offline DefiantMassRINO

The FY2025 Budget was due on October 1, 2023.

How can Congress fix the Border if they can't their primary day jobs, passing (balanced) budgets (on-time)?

If they shutdown the Government, furloughed employees will be paid retro-actively for days they weren't allowed to work.  Money for Nothing.

Chances are they'll be an other lame continuing resolution.  Give me some red meat - a continuing resolution with a 5% reduction in Federal spending.

Anything of real importance that is endangered by such a cut, can get a supplemental spending bill ... after Biden closes the Border and starts deporting migrants who will not be able to get assylum hearings within the next year.  Firing Mayorkas would be a good faith gesture.

During Biden's Presidency, my locality has accomodated Afghan refugees, Ukranian refugees, and assylum seekers.  It's breaking our state and local budgets; it's pushing aside services for veterans, homeless, mentally ill, and addicts.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.