Author Topic: Marines pass full financial audit, a first for any US military branch  (Read 194 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Marines pass full financial audit, a first for any US military branch
By Megan Eckstein
 Feb 23, 05:53 PM

The U.S. Marine Corps passed a full financial audit for the first time, with the service announcing Friday its fiscal 2023 financial audit received an “unmodified audit opinion” after a rigorous two-year review.

The milestone — something the Defense Department and the other armed services still have not achieved — comes after almost two decades of trying to prepare the Corps’ records and several failed audits along the way.

During this two-year audit, the Marine Corps had independent third-party auditors from Ernst and Young vet the value of all its assets listed on financial statements. The Corps also had to prove that every single item existed and was where the service said it was.

Gregory Koval, the assistant deputy commandant for resources, told reporters the audit team made more than 70 site visits in the U.S. and around the world. In these visits, they checked more than 7,800 real property assets such as land and buildings; 5,900 pieces of military equipment; 1.9 million pieces of non-ammunition supplies, such as spare parts; and 24 million items of ammunition, some of which are stored at Army and Navy facilities.

https://www.defensenews.com/global/the-americas/2024/02/23/marines-pass-full-financial-audit-a-first-for-any-us-military-branch/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Marines pass full financial audit, a first for any US military branch
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2024, 03:27:37 pm »
Not quite so.  Back in the Civil War, Gen. Montgomery Meigs was able to account for every penny the Union Military spent.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson