Author Topic: Why Old TV Shows Are Beating Hollywood’s Billion Dollar DEI Machine  (Read 945 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Why Old TV Shows Are Beating Hollywood’s Billion Dollar DEI Machine
Directors, writers and actors hired to fill DEI quotas make garbage that turns off viewers.
February 23, 2024 by Daniel Greenfield 28 Comments

Even as streamers like Netflix, Amazon and Disney+ are spending almost incomprehensible amounts of money creating the movies and shows fueling the Peak TV wars, the numbers show that audiences are turning down much of that content to watch old television shows instead.

A recent article noted that according to Nielsen, which tracks viewership numbers, “the most minutes last year – more than 57 billion – were spent watching ‘Suits,’ a legal drama that premiered 12 years prior.” The show had more than double the number of viewing minutes than Netflix’s race-swapping woke usurpation fantasy, “Queen Charlotte: A Bridgerton Story.”

The Hollywood Reporter noted that the “top 10 overall titles in Nielsen’s year-end rankings are all acquired shows, the first time that’s happened in the four years streaming rankings have been publicly available.” Acquired means the library of older shows that Netflix bought after spending $17 billion on content, much of it on new shows like “Bridgerton” whose three seasons cost $168 million, only to lose to the estimated $200,000 per episode that it paid for “Suits”.

https://www.frontpagemag.com/why-old-tv-shows-are-beating-hollywoods-billion-dollar-dei-machine/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Re: Why Old TV Shows Are Beating Hollywood’s Billion Dollar DEI Machine
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 08:44:12 pm »
I pay too much for cable.

Some cable channels move their new programs and new episode to their subscription streaming services.  I ain't paying more.

What happens when streaming services start moving new programs and new episodes from their current subscription streaming services on to their premium or "+" streaming services?

How much money do they think I'm willing to pay?  I'm a cheap bastard.

Many free over the air Digital TV (ACTV) stations play re-runs, which, if I haven't seen them makes them new to me.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2024, 08:49:48 pm »
You are not cheap!  These businesses simply need meet your "high standards" - cheap! :rolling:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2024, 09:09:05 pm »
What did they expect? The entertainment industry has for the better part of 60 years tried talking down any kind of notion of church or religion, so now do the think people are going to like it when they use their platform to ram sermons down our throats?

People want to be entertained. They just want to be able to engage and focus on something else for awhile so they can unwind before getting back to their lives, not be lectured and scolded by crappy acting.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2024, 09:12:28 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2024, 11:27:34 pm »
We will never pay for streaming. We already pay too much for dish TV, even without premium channels like HBO or the various streaming services - none of which we need. Thankfully, we have an antenna for picking up local stations, and that's where we can find classic TV shows.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2024, 11:33:14 pm »
Streaming is actually the way to go.  We have Comcast Xfinity and can pick and choose what channels we want, and the cost is not exorbitant, as with Dish and DirectTV.

I'm currently watching reruns of Columbo on Tubi!
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Offline rustynail

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2024, 11:35:46 pm »
Now they will be able to change the old shows also.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2024, 11:47:33 pm »
I've said this before, but the only television I watch is Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune. And sometimes "cat tv" (on Youtube) for the cat.

The last time I went to the movies was 1992 (or so) to see "Brother's Keeper".
Haven't set foot into a theater in the past 32 years.

I cut the cable (from comcast) last November, went to Frontier fiber.
For the tv, I signed on with "Youtube TV" (streaming). It's ok, but again, see above. Internet is 1,000gb down AND up. Phone is VOIP, and good -- works with nomorobo, too.

For movies, well, I'm not afraid to scrounge them up wherever I can find them, usually in HD. For the past several years, I had a project to gather and watch as many anti-communist films as I could find (and did). Then I had a project to watch as many disaster/apocalypse films as I could (and did). Sat/Sun is "movie night".

I gathered up all the Twilight Zones, the entire run of "Hill Street Blues", the entire run of "St. Elsewhere", also "Centennial". Also in the collection is the full run of "Outer Limits".

Most of this is archived on SSDs, if I ever want to go back and have another look.

I just finished a "project" to watch the entire run of the old series "One Step Beyond" (which can be found on YouTube).

Tonight I'm reaching 'way, WAY back to 1952 or so, to watch another episode of The Gabby Hayes Show (probably one of the first shows I remember around age 2-3 or so).

Just about everything is viewed on the Mac with a 27" display. Actually "bigger" in one's field of vision than is sitting 12-15 feet away from a 40" tv...

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2024, 03:58:47 am »
Streaming is actually the way to go.  We have Comcast Xfinity and can pick and choose what channels we want, and the cost is not exorbitant, as with Dish and DirectTV.

I'm currently watching reruns of Columbo on Tubi!

D00d. Tubi is free.

Seriously y'all. Hook a pooter to your tv. any win7 or newer box will do... It would be nice if it had onboard HDMI or DVI, or it will cost you a vid card too... Other than that, a wireless keyboard, and some way to get it to your router...

In my case, my whole operation was covered in the first few months of NOT paying more thn 120 bucks a month to the cable company... And after it was paid for, it's FREE.

I don't pay ANYTHING for TV streaming.

Now it ain't perfect. If you are new to it, watching what the major channels provide for free, soon enough (in three or four years) your going to run out of the same ol free offerings. And that's legit.

But pretty much everything is available online.. You just have to look a little harder.

Offline Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2024, 01:06:51 pm »
D00d. Tubi is free.

Yeah, I know that but it came with the Xfinity service, along with FreeVee and a couple of others, all of which have a few ads.  The other streams we do subscribe to run between $3.99 to $8.99 each per month, and we can cancel and resubscribe anytime we like.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online roamer_1

« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2024, 09:34:43 pm »
Yeah, I know that but it came with the Xfinity service, along with FreeVee and a couple of others, all of which have a few ads.  The other streams we do subscribe to run between $3.99 to $8.99 each per month, and we can cancel and resubscribe anytime we like.

Ahh.. That sounds like Spectrum's new shtick... A box you plug in that gives you a ROKU look-alike... For a fee.

It's weird. I ain't against subscriptions. Heck, I ain't against Roku. I have two TVs with ROKU onboard... I just never use it. My own sufficiency is supplied just turning my TV into a windows desktop and surfing from Firefox to find what to watch.

I hardly ever subscribe.
Used to have Netflix. No more.
I have Amazon Prime - But the vid capability is secondary spiff for the shipping I get... So way cool. It doesn't have to do anything to impress me... Yet I find myself in their FreeVee offerings all the time.

I carry no other. Have come close to signing onto peacock/paramount, but I resent giving them leverage.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2024, 09:37:37 pm »
As an aside, the castling of copyright holders makes it supremely easy for me to boycott Disney.
Never will I cross that threshold.

Good Riddance. My grands will never see them.