Author Topic: Canadian Politicians Introduce Bill Removing Christianity, Bible as ‘Hate Speech’ Defense  (Read 995 times)

Online mountaineer

Canadian Politicians Introduce Bill Removing Christianity, Bible as ‘Hate Speech’ Defense
Feb. 23, 2024
Our neighbors to the North continue to be the Ghosts of Legislative Future if we don’t get our act together. During the first session of the 44th parliament, Bloc Québécois party leader Yves-François Blanchet, introduced a private members bill that would remove religious exceptions to the law that criminalizes hate speech.

If someone is charged with hate speech in Canada, they can defend themselves in court by arguing they were, in good faith, making an argument based on their religious beliefs.

At present, in Canadian Criminal Code, the “religious exemption” in Section 319 states: “No person shall be convicted of a [hate crime] offense… if, in good faith, the person expressed or attempted to establish by an argument an opinion on a religious subject or an opinion based on a belief in a religious text.”

Bill C-367, which is supported by 2/3 of Canadians, would eliminate that defense. ...
Full story at Protestia

It's stunning to me that the majority of Canadians apparently don't want the right of free speech. More totalitarianism, please, eh.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
 :pondering: Is the Koran still acceptable as a defense against hate speech in Canuckistan?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So, if you tell the Bible account of Sodom and Gomorrah, you can be charged with "hate speech"? (In Canada?)

To  remonstrate, out of love, hoping for repentance is a far cry from the hate displayed by the jackbooted totalitarians who would fine or imprison those who speak to intervene in a lifestyle that commonly leads to misery and even death. What about Muslims chucking homosexuals from a high place, or Jews putting to death (by law) both the animals and people who engage in conjugal relations (Leviticus 20: 15-16)?

The Canadians I have known have been much more laissez faire as to others' personal business, but that does not deter them from having their opinions. If merely voicing those opinions, even in a religious contest, could get them in the dock, then the government will have decided it is more powerful than The Almighty, and that will not end well for them. 
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

Protestia
@Protestia
"The Liberal government has introduced their highly anticipated Online Harms Act, which proposes sweeping reforms focused on protecting children online, creating internet complaint mechanisms, and potentially steep new penalties for hate crimes...
...This includes content that sexually victimizes children or revictimizes a survivor, content used to bully children, content that could push a child to harm themselves, content that incites violence or terrorism, content that incites violence, content that foments hatred and intimate content shared without consent.
...Last week, Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre signaled plans to oppose the legislation, in short saying that Prime Minister Justin Trudeau cannot differentiate between hate speech and “speech he hates.”   https://t.co/IriDbYNS5Z
6:34 PM · Feb 27, 2024

Protestia
@Protestia
Canada is the USA if Dems had free reign. New Liberal 'online harms' bill to make online hate punishable up to life in prison.
https://t.co/gJj7muK4hh
6:28 PM · Feb 27, 2024

Online mountaineer

The Liberal online hate bill (C-63) empowers the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal to hide the identity of accusers and can even compel gag orders on people who are the subject of online hate complaints.

https://twitter.com/cosminDZS/status/1762240253207724427

Online mountaineer

Ezra Levant 🍁🚛
@ezralevant
It gets worse. The bill creates a pre-crime called “fear of hate crime”. You can be put under house arrest, with an ankle monitor, forced to give blood samples, banned from talking to any person, etc. if someone “fears” you’ll say something hateful.

https://twitter.com/ezralevant/status/1763083972374868231

Offline libertybele

So, if you tell the Bible account of Sodom and Gomorrah, you can be charged with "hate speech"? (In Canada?)

To  remonstrate, out of love, hoping for repentance is a far cry from the hate displayed by the jackbooted totalitarians who would fine or imprison those who speak to intervene in a lifestyle that commonly leads to misery and even death. What about Muslims chucking homosexuals from a high place, or Jews putting to death (by law) both the animals and people who engage in conjugal relations (Leviticus 20: 15-16)?

The Canadians I have known have been much more laissez faire as to others' personal business, but that does not deter them from having their opinions. If merely voicing those opinions, even in a religious contest, could get them in the dock, then the government will have decided it is more powerful than The Almighty, and that will not end well for them.

I am afraid that this is going to happen here.  One of the objectives of the Biden and his transition team was to send out memos instructing liberals to accommodate the administration in silencing Christianity and removing religious freedom. It was something that I had read before he took office, whether or not there was any validity to it, I didn't at the time do any sort of research.  However, I don't put it past Biden and Co. to do just that.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online mountaineer

More:
Ezra Levant 🍁🚛
@ezralevant
Jordan Peterson was put through the ringer by the Ontario College of Psychologists because a couple of cranks didn't like some of his tweets.

But a new law (C-63) would allow literally anyone to take him to the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal for every tweet or YouTube video he publishes, not just in the future, but anything he's done historically that's still available online.

Each complaint is free to file. It's not like a civil lawsuit where you have to hire a lawyer and pay a filing fee, etc. The government helps you if you need it.

Each complaint can result in a.) a $20,000 fine payable to the complainant and b.) a $50,000 fine payable to the government.

So it's the Trump treatment. Overwhelm the target with endless nuisance suits that take time and money to fight. Even if the complaints are dismissed, you're still at a loss. And if literally hundreds of complaints are filed against someone like Prof. Peterson, even if only 5% are upheld, that's economically devastating.

As you can see by the screenshots below, the identity of the complainants, and anyone who gives evidence, can be kept a secret -- from the public, and even from the target himself. It could be the government, or someone paid by the government, filing complaints; it could be a political or academic rival; it could be a disgruntled neighbour! Complaints can be filed by literally anyone -- you don't need to have standing, you don't need to have been mentioned by Prof. Peterson. You just have to want to deploy the bureaucracy against him.

The certainty of this happening is 100% -- it already has been happening on a small scale. But this law has invited every grifter, grumbler and hater to take their quarrels from the YouTube comments section into the Canadian Human Rights Tribunal. I mean, you could write a mean tweet about Prof. Peterson. Or you could just turn that tweet into a "hate speech" complaint, and force him to lawyer up and reply -- and possibly pay you $20,000 per complaint.

Trudeau is obsessed by Trump. He's been watching how corrupted courts and bureaucrats have declared "lawfare" against him. This is the Canadian version of that, but instead of a few spectacular criminal prosecutions, this will unleash literally hundreds, likely thousands, of "small" attacks on Trudeau's enemies. But how many people, even at Prof. Peterson's level of success, could withstand a barrage of $70,000 human rights penalties? ($20,000 payable to the complainant, $50,000 payable to the government.)

Learn more at http://StopTheCensorship.ca

I use Prof. Peterson as an example because he's high profile, he's already been attacked by the College of Psychologists, and he absolutely will be swarmed.

But this law is also targeted at "normal" people, for whom a single complaint would devastate their lives and knock them out of public life.
9:49 AM · Feb 29, 2024

Offline Smokin Joe

This crap has been going on a long time, and we're just seeing it approach that if the 'right' person complains, you can be hauled off in irons. Anyone recall the Canadian site Free Dominion?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Now do Islam.
The Republic is lost.

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Canadian law endorsed by Trudeau government could imprison people for life for speech crimes
Story by Bradford Betz • 11h

A Canadian law that aims to make social media platforms safer is getting flak for what some decry as government overreach.

Introduced late last month, the Online Harms Act, or Bill C-63, would allow judges to imprison adults for life if they advocate for genocide.

The law would also allow a provincial judge to impose house arrest and a fine if there were reasonable grounds to believe a defendant "will commit" an offense – a provision Wall Street Journal columnist Michael Taube likened to the 2002 film, The Minority Report.

Maragaret Atwood, author of The Handmaid's Tale, has criticized the bill as "Orwellian."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/canadian-law-endorsed-by-trudeau-government-could-imprison-people-for-life-for-speech-crimes/ar-BB1jR5o2?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=a396f53a353142bbbeec4d93de4a8114&ei=19
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

Just think. Freedom of not being 'offended' trumps the freedom to worship as you choose.

Just how long will Almighty God put up with that?

C S Lewis