Author Topic: GOP shutdown fears grow: ‘We could be in a world of hurt’  (Read 217 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP shutdown fears grow: ‘We could be in a world of hurt’
« on: February 23, 2024, 01:51:00 pm »
GOP shutdown fears grow: ‘We could be in a world of hurt’
by Mike Lillis, Mychael Schnell and Al Weaver - 02/23/24 5:30 AM ET

Leaders in both parties are racing to secure a deal on government spending as the negotiation window quickly closes and the fears of a shutdown grow more pronounced.

Congress returns to Washington next week facing a pair of looming funding deadlines — March 1 for a handful of agencies and March 8 for the rest — leaving lawmakers with little time to iron out their differences and get bills to the floor to keep the government open.

While Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) has moved deftly to avoid a shutdown since taking the gavel in October, restive conservatives are losing patience with his willingness to cut budget deals across the aisle. And some observers on Capitol Hill are already warning that the current fight is the greatest shutdown threat of this Congress.

“I’m worried. Of all the scares we’ve had since the last fiscal year, I think this is going to be the scariest. I think we could be in a world of hurt,” said a Senate GOP aide. “I don’t know if it’ll be a partial or a full, but I think the chances of a shutdown are the highest we’ve had this fiscal year.”

Party leaders in both chambers have sought to assure the public — and the markets — that the sides will come together to adopt their appropriations bills and avoid any disruptions to government operations.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4484048-gop-shutdown-fears-grow-we-could-be-in-a-world-of-hurt/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline bilo

Re: GOP shutdown fears grow: ‘We could be in a world of hurt’
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 08:49:21 pm »
While Speaker Mike Johnson (R-La.) has moved deftly to avoid a shutdown since taking the gavel in October,

When Johnson agreed to the first C/R the patriots lost to the establishment loyalists. We will see no real restraint on spending and we will not see the needed return to the appropriation process that would begin the process of weeding out stupid spending and bad policy.

Out of control spending will be the demise of the Republic.
A stranger in a hostile foreign land I used to call home