Author Topic: Judge blocks California from suing makers of 'abnormally dangerous' guns  (Read 351 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Judge blocks California from suing makers of 'abnormally dangerous' guns

By Nate Raymond

(Reuters) -A federal judge on Wednesday blocked California's attorney general from enforcing a new law that allows residents, the state and local governments to sue members of the firearms industry that manufacture or sell "abnormally dangerous" guns.

U.S. District Judge Andrew Schopler in San Diego sided with a firearms industry trade association in finding that part of a gun control measure signed into law by Democratic Governor Gavin Newsom in 2022 was likely unconstitutional.

It is the first ruling in a case challenging the constitutionality of California's Firearm Industry Responsibility Act.

The law was enacted shortly after the conservative-majority U.S. Supreme Court issued a landmark ruling in June 2022 concerning the U.S. Constitution's Second Amendment that significantly expanded gun rights.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/judge-blocks-california-from-suing-makers-of-abnormally-dangerous-guns/ar-BB1iGD2n?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=d349bc03c566476b8b3c9fad54a5d837&ei=65
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rustynail

Re: Judge blocks California from suing makers of 'abnormally dangerous' guns
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2024, 12:40:55 pm »
The ones that could 'put your eye out'?