Author Topic: NYC’s non-citizen voting law ruled unconstitutional on appeal  (Read 541 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
NYC’s non-citizen voting law ruled unconstitutional on appeal
« on: February 22, 2024, 11:49:14 am »
NYC’s non-citizen voting law ruled unconstitutional on appeal
Story by By Jeff Coltin • 12h

NEW YORK — A state appeals court ruled that a New York City law that would allow non-citizens to vote in local elections is unconstitutional — marking a win for the Republican elected officials who sued to block it.

“We determine that this local law was enacted in violation of the New York State Constitution and Municipal Home Rule Law, and thus, must be declared null and void,” read the Wednesday ruling from Paul Wooten, an associate justice of the Appellate Division for the Second Judicial Department in New York.

Mayor Eric Adams’ administration has been defending the law and appealed a lower court’s ruling against it. A spokesperson didn’t immediately respond when asked if City Hall planned to appeal to the state’s highest court.

The 2022 law has not yet gone into effect, since it faced immediate legal challenges. It sought to let green card holders and other people living in New York City with federal work authorization to vote in local elections for offices including mayor and City Council — applying to some 800,000 new eligible voters in a city of 8.5 million.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/nyc-s-non-citizen-voting-law-ruled-unconstitutional-on-appeal/ar-BB1iFTF7?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=63ddfe442c274adf97e01d8bb1a00ef7&ei=64
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson