Author Topic: Jordan brushes aside indictment of FBI informant in Biden impeachment inquiry  (Read 328 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 Jordan brushes aside indictment of FBI informant in Biden impeachment inquiry
by Mychael Schnell - 02/21/24 11:49 AM ET

House Judiciary Committee Chair Jim Jordan (R-Ohio) is brushing aside the indictment of the FBI informant at the center of the GOP’s allegations against President Biden, arguing the source’s arrest “doesn’t change the fundamental facts” of the Republican case against the president.

The Justice Department indicted Alexander Smirnov last week on allegations he made up information involving the Bidens, including his claim that the then-vice president and his son, Hunter Biden, each accepted a $5 million bribe, an assertion central to the GOP’s impeachment inquiry against the president. Last year, Jordan said “the impeachable offense is — I think, the key thing is in Burisma.”

But Wednesday, nearly a week after Smirnov’s arrest, Jordan downplayed the significance Smirnov’s claims play in the conference’s impeachment inquiry into Biden.

“Well, I mean, it is what it is,” Jordan told reporters when asked about the indictment. “It doesn’t change the fundamental facts.”

The Judiciary Committee chair went on to list a number of long-running GOP claims involving Hunter Biden and his involvement with Ukrainian energy company Burisma.

“Those facts, they don’t change regardless of what this confidential human source is saying,” Jordan said, referring to Smirnov.

House Oversight Committee Chair James Comer (R-Ky.) has delivered a similar message, arguing that the impeachment inquiry does not hinge on Smirnov’s claims, which were memorialized in an FD-1023 form.

“To be clear, the impeachment inquiry is not reliant on the FBI’s FD-1023,” Comer said in a statement last week.

Democrats, however, have pounced on Smirnov’s indictment in their campaign to cast doubt on the GOP’s impeachment inquiry. Last week, Rep. Jamie Raskin (Md.), the top Democrat on the Oversight and Accountability Committee, called on Republican leaders to end their probe in light of Smirnov’s arrest.

On Wednesday, Raskin said the revelations involving Smirnov “destroy the entire case.”

“Smirnov was the foundation of the whole thing. He was the one who came forward to say that Burisma had given Joe Biden $5 million, and that was just concocted out of thin air.”

“And so it was that foundation that the whole house of cards has been built on, and the entire thing has collapsed,” he added.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/house/4480810-jordan-informants-indictment-doesnt-change-fundamental-facts-of-gop-case-against-biden/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline DefiantMassRINO

Facts don't matter.  Facts are irrelevant.  We live in a post-fact, post-truth world.  The goal is to manufacture your truth and sell it better than your opponent's manufactured truth.

It's a theater of the obsurd for the entertainment of Donald Trump, FoxNews, OAN, NewsMAX, and the MAGA pod-verse.

It has to be real because it's on TV.  It wouldn't be on television if it wasn't real.

https://youtu.be/35DSdw7dHjs?t=337

« Last Edit: February 21, 2024, 09:09:00 pm by DefiantMassRINO »
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
GOP Rep. Buck: Comer, Jordan ‘Were Warned’ Ex-Informant’s Claims Not Corroborated

Repreresentive Ken Buck (R-CO) claimed Wednesday on CNN’s “The Source” that Reps. James Comer (R-KY) and Jim Jordan (R-OH) were warned that Alexander Smirnov, charged with lying to the FBI, had a story that could not be corroborated.
Partial transcript as follows:

COLLINS: Looking at what you said last September, you were condemning your own party’s impeachment efforts, saying that ‘Republicans in the House who are itching for an impeachment are relying on an imagined history.’ Did you ever think that it would collapse and this spectacular of a fashion

BUCK: Well, Kaitlan, it’s even more of an imagined history now. Obviously, this witness – and we were warned at the time that we received the document outlining this witness’s testimony – we were warned that the credibility of this statement was not known.

And yet people, my colleagues went out and talk to the public about how this was credible and how it was damning and how it proved President Biden’s – at the time Vice President Biden’s – complicity in receiving bribes. It appears to absolutely be false and to really undercut the nature of the charges. We’ve always been looking for a link between what Hunter Biden received in terms of money and Joe Biden’s activities or Joe Biden receiving money. This clearly is not a credible link at this point.

COLLINS: So, James Comer and Jim Jordan – they knew that this was not corroborated information, yet they still went public with it, talked about it on television, used it to fuel these investigations regardless?

BUCK: That’s what it appears. I certainly didn’t have any evidence outside the statement itself that it was credible. And as a prosecutor for 25 years, Kaitlan, I never went to the public until I could prove the reliability of a statement. And even then, the only one public statement a prosecutor makes is the charging document. Let’s see what the evidence is in this impeachment, if there is more evidence before going forward.

https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2024/02/21/gop-rep-buck-comer-jordan-were-warned-ex-informants-claims-not-corroborated/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Facts don't matter.  Facts are irrelevant.  We live in a post-fact, post-truth world.  The goal is to manufacture your truth and sell it better than your opponent's manufactured truth.

It's a theater of the obsurd for the entertainment of Donald Trump, FoxNews, OAN, NewsMAX, and the MAGA pod-verse.

It has to be real because it's on TV.  It wouldn't be on television if it wasn't real.

https://youtu.be/35DSdw7dHjs?t=337

*****rollingeyes*****
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: