Author Topic: The Navy’s latest sea base is drone-ready  (Read 138 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Navy’s latest sea base is drone-ready
« on: February 21, 2024, 02:24:02 pm »
The Navy’s latest sea base is drone-ready
USS John L. Canley was designed to tackle a variety of missions, including special operations and counter-mine efforts.
LAUREN C. WILLIAMS | FEBRUARY 20, 2024 05:43 PM ET
NAVY MARINE CORPS

SAN DIEGO—The Navy has a new sea base that can handle anything from minesweeping to V-22 operations to unmanned systems—if ever called to do so.

USS John L. Canley, named for a Marine gunnery sergeant who received the medal of honor during the Battle of Hue in Vietnam, entered active service Saturday. Canley was the first living Black Marine to receive the highest military honor.

“We're the third largest flight deck in the U.S. Navy at 52,500 square feet,” with four helicopter landing spots for simultaneous landings, Capt. Thomas Mays, commanding officer for the vessel and both crews, told reporters ahead of the ceremony. There’s also a hangar on board that can hold two V-22 Ospreys, two MH-53E Sea Dragons, or four SH-60 Sea Hawks. 

https://www.defenseone.com/defense-systems/2024/02/navys-latest-sea-base-drone-ready/394314/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson