Author Topic: Navy Has Fired Around 100 Standard Series Missiles At Houthi Drones, Missiles: Report  (Read 231 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Has Fired Around 100 Standard Series Missiles At Houthi Drones, Missiles: Report
The Navy firing off many multi-million-dollar missiles highlights cost and capacity concerns that could play factor in a fight against China.

BY
JOSEPH TREVITHICK
|
PUBLISHED FEB 19, 2024 7:34 PM EST
US Navy destroyers have fired around 100 Standard series surface-to-air missiles against Houthi missiles and drones since October, according to a recent report.
The Arleigh Burke class destroyer USS Carney fires a surface-to-air missile at Houthi threats on October 19, 2023. USN

JOSEPH TREVITHICK

The U.S. Navy has fired around 100 Standard family surface-to-air missiles at Houthi missiles and drones launched from Yemen since last October, according to a recent report. This significant expenditure of resources speaks exactly to the kinds of concerns, as well as broader ramifications, that The War Zone recently explored in detail the context of the U.S. Navy's future Constellation class frigates and its surface combatants' magazine depth in general, which you can find here.

The new details about how Navy ships have been responding to Houthi attacks came in a report from CBS News' "60 Minutes" that was broadcast this past weekend. The Iranian-backed Yemeni militants have been engaged in an anti-shipping campaign in and around the Red Sea since last October. The group has also been launching missiles and drones at Israel.

The Arleigh Burke class destroyer USS Carney fires a surface-to-air missile at Houthi threats on October 19, 2023. USN
"We learned that so far in this crisis, the Navy has fired about 100 of their Standard surface-to-air missiles, that can cost as much as $4 million each," according to the "60 Minutes" story.

https://www.twz.com/sea/navy-has-fired-around-100-standard-series-missiles-at-houthi-drones-missiles-report
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Don't forget, every one of those missiles is taking food out of the mouths of illegal aliens! :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
This is just stupid.  Each of those drones cost only a few thousand dollars each.
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus