Author Topic: How Many Attack Submarines Does the U.S. Navy Need?  (Read 281 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
How Many Attack Submarines Does the U.S. Navy Need?
« on: February 20, 2024, 06:23:03 pm »
February 19, 2024 

How Many Attack Submarines Does the U.S. Navy Need?

How many attack submarines does the U.S. Navy need? With Chinese and Russian SSN threats looming, the more, the better. But accomplishing the mission is essential, and the ability to do so might come from unusual quadrants.

by James Holmes

How many attack submarines does the U.S. Navy need?

The more, the better. But accomplishing the mission is the important thing, and the ability to do so might come from unusual quadrants. Never reject unconventional options out of hand. That includes beneath the waves.

Let’s start from first principles to get some purchase on questions of undersea force structure. The 2020 triservice maritime strategy, titled Advantage at Sea, remains silent about numbers of hulls, airframes, and armaments. It’s a strategic concept more than a full-fledged strategy connecting means to ends. But the directive does lay out in general terms how the sea services—the U.S. Navy, Marine Corps, and Coast Guard—intend to approach operations throughout the continuum from competing in peacetime to fighting wars and back again.

Guidance from on high is not a bad place to start.

https://nationalinterest.org/blog/buzz/how-many-attack-submarines-does-us-navy-need%C2%A0-209493
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: How Many Attack Submarines Does the U.S. Navy Need?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2024, 10:36:17 pm »
When the Navy has enough "attack submarines" to hunt down and sink every Chinese warship... then that should do.