Author Topic: New Bill Would Give States the Right to Sue Federal Government Over Illegal Alien Invasion  (Read 758 times)

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"

New Bill Would Give States the Right to Sue Federal Government Over Illegal Alien Invasion

Republican Reps. Chip Roy (Texas) and Dan Bishop (N.C.) introduced the Standing Up to the Executive Branch for Immigration Enforcement Act, or “SUE for Immigration Enforcement Act,” on Wednesday.

The six-page bill is being marked up by the House Judiciary Committee.

Incidentally, "marked up" is the process by which a U.S. congressional committee debates, amends, and rewrites proposed legislation.

So the bill was filed in response to a U.S. Supreme Court ruling last July that held that Texas and Louisiana did not have standing to challenge a policy implemented by embattled Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas — I know: Try to control your shock and amazement — that virtually ended deportations of illegal aliens who crossed the U.S. border.

Here's more:

[The] bill would give state attorneys general standing to sue the Secretary of Homeland Security when the federal government refuses to enforce federal immigration law. It would amend the Immigration and Nationality Act to allow attorneys general to sue when the federal government does not follow existing law and detain and remove illegal foreign nationals in their states.

It includes language regarding a state or resident being harmed by federal policies, including defining harm to include financial costs exceeding $100. It also would direct the courts to advance on the docket and expedite the disposition of a civil action.

It takes the opposite approach of a Senate Democrat bill, championed by Sen. James Lankford, R-Oklahoma, which would have stripped states’ ability to sue. The bill, which Speaker of the House Mike Johnson, R-Louisiana, said the House would not even consider, would have prevented judges in federal courts in any state from ruling on lawsuits filed by states over Biden administration border policies.

https://redstate.com/mike_miller/2024/02/19/new-bill-would-give-states-the-right-to-sue-federal-government-over-illegal-alien-invasion-n2170350

I screwed around in my spare time last year and drafted a mock constitutional amendment to fix immigration.  This was what was in my proposed Section 5.  I think everything else I had in there did require it to be in a constitutional amendment, but I do think this particular provision is valid even as just a piece of legislation.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 05:41:31 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online libertybele

:bkmk:  Hopeful.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Nice gesture.
Goin' nowhere...

Online Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
If you don't have a mechanism to compel the federal government to enforce the law, and to undo any unlawful benefits it has bestowed, they can always screw you simply by refusing to enforce.

I also had a provision permitting states to prevent entry into that state from a bordering foreign nation except through limited and designated federal border crossings.  The state is entitled to expel any person crossing that border who has not gone through those federal crossing points and been processed by federal personnel.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Why do we even need a law to 'establish a right'?

If it is a Right, it exists, anyway.

The Federal Government has been remiss in holding up it's end of the Constitution, to wit: not Providing for the common defense, right there in the Premble, and not protecting the States from invasion. per Article IV. To make matters even worse, it is actively aiding and abetting that invasion, using our money, in violation of Federal Law.

IMNSHO, this Government is void.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis