Author Topic: California's Restaurants Struggle to Stay Afloat Following the $20 Minimum Wage Increase  (Read 1414 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
California's Restaurants Struggle to Stay Afloat Following the $20 Minimum Wage Increase
©Fibonacci Blue/Wikimedia

California’s minimum wage increase for many fast-food employees is set to take effect in April of this year. Previously, the fast food minimum wage was set at $16. This means a worker making minimum wage could see up to a 20% increase on their take-home checks.     

However, many business owners in the state are worrying about how they are going to pay for these forced wage hikes, with some threatening to cut worker hours or raise menu prices to compensate. 

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/markets/california-s-restaurants-struggle-to-stay-afloat-following-the-20-minimum-wage-increase/ss-BB1ixoP9?ocid=msedgdhp&pc=HCTS&cvid=ce9e4bcc9d8d4e29bd4b250655b5478a&ei=47
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Every big liberal/progressive in Mejifornia will tell you growing food, meat or produce, is bad for the environment, so it's a better world without them! *****rollingeyes*****
« Last Edit: February 20, 2024, 11:06:36 am by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
"threatening" smdh media...painting the restaurant owners as the villains when many of those workers end up making $0.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Every big liberal/progressive in Mejifornia will tell you growing food, meat or produce, is bad for the environment, so it's a better world without them! *****rollingeyes*****
Relevance to forcing employers to pay insane wages? The end result of this stupidity will be less employees, higher prices and businesses going under...so less jobs. With the already high prices of groceries, rent and utilities, topping it with insane wages for unskilled labor(and the increased payroll taxes) the only winners will be those that collect the higher taxes and administer unemployment......government workers.

Online GtHawk

"threatening" smdh media...painting the restaurant owners as the villains when many of those workers end up making $0.
This seems to be the democrats main theme, well that and putting more Americans on the dole to insure a dependent voting bloc.

Offline rustynail

There is a need for 'fast food stamps' to help the people purchase product and support the workers.

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
There is a need for 'fast food stamps' to help the people purchase product and support the workers.
I presume that's sarcasm...because nothing infuriates me more as a taxpayer than seeing fast food joints, and other garbage outlets allowed to take EBT as payment. EBT is supposed to be about providing nutrition in order to sustain life. Now it's nothing more than wealth transfer...
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Online GtHawk

I presume that's sarcasm...because nothing infuriates me more as a taxpayer than seeing fast food joints, and other garbage outlets allowed to take EBT as payment. EBT is supposed to be about providing nutrition in order to sustain life. Now it's nothing more than wealth transfer...
I should feel insulted by your description of fast food joints as garbage outlets, having managed one for 22 years...buuuut considering every time MickeyD's tried to put healthier fare on the menu people turned it down, so they chose the food they eat **nononono* I absolutely agree that EBT should only be for healthy fare...and here's another buuuut, where are people living on the streets gonna find it? And then there is the liberal response of, how dare you dictate to people where and what they eat? Of course dictating where and what people eat is a favorite pastime of the left :silly:

What really chaps my ass with EBT's is how many Frickin people that are so obviously pretty well off get them 9999hair out0000

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
You're absolutely right about "healthy" fare...but my logic as it relates to fast food is that it's not about "healthy" per se, but good tasting "cheating". I like cardiac burger every once in a while, but one shouldn't rely on them to live.

In a feeble attempt to apologize  wink777, "garbage" is a euphemism of mine for high carb, highly processed, high sodium type "food". There are some who do a good job at not selling stuff like that. But again, fast food isn't necessarily healthy food.

In our locality, there's plenty of options for street dwellers to find healthier food, but since they have EBT, they're not obliged to.

And to your last comment, so many on EBT are quite "well off" in the weight dept. as well.

Online Hoodat

California's Restaurants Struggle to Stay Afloat Following the $20 Minimum Wage Increase

Gee, who saw that coming?  If only someone could have warned them.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The shopping cart full of nice cuts of meat will be paid with using EBT, more often than not. The rest comes from a food pantry...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online mountaineer

SF deli chain closing final downtown locations after 40 years in business
By Madeline Wells
Feb 29, 2024
Lee's Deli, a local San Francisco chain that once had a dozen locations around the city, is closing its final two locations. The downtown stores, located at 303 2nd St. and 280 Battery St., are listed as "temporary closed until further notice" on Lee's Deli's website, but owner and co-founder Lee Quan told the San Francisco Business Times those closures are permanent. ...

Quan also told the Business Times he blamed city policies for the closures, including rising minimum wage costs (currently, SF minimum wage is $18.07). ...
SF Gate
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Gee, who saw that coming?  If only someone could have warned them.
Newsom and all the other idiot nuts running California are about to get a very abrupt lesson in basic economics.

Like trying to control the weather, once these government fools start manually manipulating a market force economy, they disrupt the natural ebb and flow of how autonomous economics works. Although they think they are 'helping' or 'fixing' a problem, they will only end up making things worse.

These Berkeley educated fools could learn from any redneck. The first thing a redneck learns as a child is, "If it works, don't fix it." This is a lesson the Democrat Liberal elite never learned.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DefiantMassRINO

It may mean California will experience decreased meals tax revenues.

New vending machine and robot technology will take the place of human workers for those who dare run a profitable restaurant or meal vending enterprise.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Hoodat

Friends of Gavin Newsom will be exempt from the new minimum wage laws.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

New vending machine and robot technology will take the place of human workers for those who dare run a profitable restaurant or meal vending enterprise.
The return of the automat.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

It may mean California will experience decreased meals tax revenues.

Fast food is already evolving into a vending machine service. You pull up to a McDonald's kiosk and push-button select your order with a debit card. Drive around to pick it up. You never see or speak to anyone.

Behind the scenes, everything automated. There is one human inside monitoring all the machines to make sure they are working properly and to reload them with product when necessary. But in the entire transaction, there is no human interaction. This is just a giant vending machine.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online 240B

• TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Friends of Gavin Newsom will be exempt from the new minimum wage laws.
Maybe. But who will work for them if they can make twice as much next door?