Author Topic: A map of where to expect cicadas in 2024 and which broods will hit Illinois  (Read 6942 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
 A map of where to expect cicadas in 2024 and which broods will hit Illinois
The dual explosion of cicadas, which hasn't been seen for centuries, will hit much of the state, but in one portion, an overlap of the two major broods is possible
By NBC 5 Staff   • Published 2 hours ago   • Updated 4 hours ago   

Illinois will see a unique situation when two massive broods of cicadas emerge across the U.S. this year, but where will the biggest emergence be seen?

A rare and likely massive emergence of two different broods of cicadas is expected in 2024 and while Illinois is in a unique position to see it all unfold, where can you expect the most?

This dual emergence hasn't been seen for centuries, with Brood XIII and Brood XIX both set to pop out of the ground simultaneously. The rare occurrence, which could bring billions of cicadas to the surface, last happened 221 years ago.

While most of Illinois and the Chicago area will see at least one brood's emergence, a narrow part of the state could see an overlap of both.

Here's what we know so far:
Where will two periodic cicada broods emerge in the U.S. this year?

"This is like the year for Illinois," cicada expert Catherine Dana, an affiliate with the Illinois Natural History Survey, told NBC Chicago. "We are going to have cicadas emerging all over the state."

The Northern Illinois Brood, or Brood XIII, will be most seen in parts of northern Illinois and Indiana, and possibly even in Wisconsin, Iowa and parts of Ohio. This brood will be the most prominent in the Chicago area for the upcoming emergence.

Meanwhile, Brood XIX, or the Great Southern Brood cicadas, have a more widespread population, covering parts of Missouri, Illinois, Louisiana, North Carolina, Virginia and Maryland.

"Brood XIX is arguably the largest (by geographic extent) of all periodical cicada broods, with records along the east coast from Maryland to Georgia and in the Midwest from Iowa to Oklahoma," the University of Connecticut reports. "Although 13- year cicadas are generally considered to have a southern distribution, the northernmost known record of this brood is in Chebanse, IL, roughly 75 miles from Chicago’s Loop."

While the two broods have different emergence regions, there could be some locations that see an overlap of both.

more w/map
https://www.nbcchicago.com/news/local/a-map-of-where-to-expect-cicadas-in-2024-and-which-broods-will-hit-illinois/3360052/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I hate these things...
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mountaineer

I hate these things...
Ditto. We'll probably see them, too. They seem to come more frequently than every 17 years.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Hee Hee Hee...

I'll just sit up here on my mountain and feel sorry for y'all. Really.

I ain't seen a cicada in thirty years.

Offline Hoodat

Ditto. We'll probably see them, too. They seem to come more frequently than every 17 years.

There's also a 13-year cicada.  This year is special because we are getting hit with both.

Math tells me that these are cicada years since 1930:

This averages to a cicada year every 7-8 years.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Hee Hee Hee...

:chairbang:
Support the USO

Online libertybele

But ... they'll add some nutrients to the soil and perhaps aerate the lawn. :shrug:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline roamer_1

But ... they'll add some nutrients to the soil and perhaps aerate the lawn. :shrug:

The cats will be so fat...

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Hee Hee Hee...

I've never seen one.  First I was just out of range in Southern Michigan, now I am in arid AZ.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Hoodat

What happens if a 13-year cicada mates with a 17-year cicada?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

What happens if a 13-year cicada mates with a 17-year cicada?

Cats. Cats come along and crunch through their lifeless bodies.

Offline mountaineer

Like it isn't enough that we have to be on the lookout for the spotted lanternfly!  9999hair out0000
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Cats. Cats come along and crunch through their lifeless bodies.

For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Polly Ticks

Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too. -Yogi Berra

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What's a hot summer evening without the chatter of Cicadas?

At our Illinois location, those damned gray stinkbugs are much more of a nusiance.

In SE Texas and SW Louisiana , its dealng with the just the mass quantity of bugs.  And worst of all, its the twice a year scourge of Love Bugs.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.