Author Topic: U.S. military reports 1st Houthi unmanned underwater vessel in Red Sea  (Read 195 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
U.S. military reports 1st Houthi unmanned underwater vessel in Red Sea
By Aliza Chasan

February 18, 2024 / 5:23 PM EST / CBS News

The U.S. military conducted five self-defense strikes in Houthi-controlled areas of Yemen on Saturday, including one against an unmanned underwater vessel, U.S. Central Command said Sunday.

Saturday's incident marked the first observed Houthi use of an unmanned underwater vessel since attacks in the Red Sea region started in October, CENTCOM said.

The military on Saturday between 3 p.m. and 8 p.m. local time also conducted self-defense strikes against three mobile anti-ship cruise missiles and an unmanned surface vessel. CENTCOM "determined they presented an imminent threat to U.S. Navy ships and merchant vessels in the region," the military said in a news release. "These actions will protect freedom of navigation and make international waters safer and more secure for U.S. Navy and merchant vessels."

The Houthis have launched a barrage of drones and anti-ship ballistic missiles in recent months, targeting dozens of ships and disrupting a crucial international shipping corridor. When they began their attacks, the Houthis said they would only shoot at ships linked to Israel.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-military-strikes-houthi-unmanned-underwater-vessel-red-sea/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S. military reports 1st Houthi unmanned underwater vessel in Red Sea
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2024, 02:29:06 pm »
The Houthis have it only for "defensive" purposes, of course. :drunk:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: U.S. military reports 1st Houthi unmanned underwater vessel in Red Sea
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2024, 02:33:41 pm »
I'll bet the US still hasn't developed a way of identifying theirs from others yet, setting up an ongoing Tower 22 fiasco.  **nononono*
Thomas Jefferson