Author Topic: The Case for Maritime Realism  (Read 144 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
The Case for Maritime Realism
« on: February 19, 2024, 02:15:56 pm »
February 18, 2024 

The Case for Maritime Realism
The U.S. Navy has yet to fully integrate realist principles into developing its strategy, even amid today’s world of strategic competition.

by Aaron Marchant Follow @AaronCMarchant1 on TwitterL

Realism is back. From arguments over Vladimir Putin’s decision to invade Ukraine to the 2024 U.S. presidential election cycle, realist concepts dominate foreign policy discussions. Should Western countries continue to supply munitions to Ukraine even as their stockpiles diminish? If China looms as the more dangerous threat to U.S. interests, what can Washington do to counterbalance it? These are the kinds of foreign affairs questions that some realists are asking.

It is not surprising, then, that the U.S.-led response to the Houthi attacks on civilian shipping in the Red Sea has drawn fire from realists, who are annoyed at U.S. Central Command’s use of precision-guided munitions on Houthi targets. In the name of protecting freedom of the seas, the United States appears to be drawn into yet another Middle East conflict. In contrast, realists argue it should prioritize the Chinese threat in the Indo-Pacific and the Russian threat in Europe. After all, why should the U.S. Navy protect Chinese shipping in the Red Sea when even Beijing refuses to defend it?

The Red Sea attacks highlight how difficult it is to police the seas and guarantee safe passage through them. This fact suggests that current naval policy is particularly ripe for re-examination. Indeed, what makes the maritime domain unique is that it is realist in nature. This is a place where hard power predominates, where actors more freely conceal their behavior and deceive adversaries, and where the best information about close calls between vessels are grainy images. Ultimately, actors on the high seas follow international law only if they know someone is willing and able to hold them accountable, a task that is often difficult to accomplish.

https://nationalinterest.org/feature/case-maritime-realism-209489
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson