Author Topic: In Chicago, Violent Criminals Go Free While This Man Languishes in Jail  (Read 945 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In Chicago, Violent Criminals Go Free While This Man Languishes in Jail
Roman Jankowski / February 16, 2024

An Illinois man rots in a Cook County Jail cell for 18 months over an unresolved, 14-year-old divorce settlement while violent criminals are allowed to go free.

COMMENTARY BY

Roman Jankowski
Roman serves as a senior investigative counsel for the Oversight Project at The Heritage Foundation.

A nasty divorce case has put a man behind bars for 18 months in Chicago’s Cook County Jail despite what he says is a clean criminal record. 

Thanks to a law first proposed by Illinois’ black lawmakers after the George Floyd protests of 2020, thousands of dangerous inmates are being released onto the streets of Chicago and other cities, while those subject to civil complaints are jailed like criminals.

Such is the case of Illinois native Steve Fanady, 59, who has been rotting in a Cook County jail cell in solitary confinement for 18 months over an unresolved, 14-year-old divorce settlement.

“I’m terrified of dying in prison over a 14-year-old divorce case,” Fanady told the New York Post. 

https://www.dailysignal.com/2024/02/16/in-chicago-violent-criminals-go-free-while-this-man-languishes-in-jail/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: In Chicago, Violent Criminals Go Free While This Man Languishes in Jail
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 11:00:14 pm »
I used to think that when the Heartland Republic breaks away from the rest of America the southern 3/4 of Illinois might be severed from the north end, but as time goes by almost the entire state (perhaps save the bottom third) isn't worth saving...

Offline Hoodat

Re: In Chicago, Violent Criminals Go Free While This Man Languishes in Jail
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 11:26:22 pm »
Fanady said that he is being held in jail on a judge’s order until he can pay $10 million or transfer 120,000 shares of stock to his ex-wife. .  .

.  .  .  .  The judge then wanted him to prove he doesn’t have the stock any longer, but he can’t

So we're bringing back debtors prisons?  And how is anyone supposed to prove something doesn't exist?
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-