Author Topic: Assessing the true value of air and missile defense intercepts in the Red Sea  (Read 158 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Assessing the true value of air and missile defense intercepts in the Red Sea
Posted on February 15, 2024 by alert5

Recent media coverage frequently portrays air and missile defense intercepts through the lens of a simplistic cost comparison: the expensive interceptor versus the seemingly cheap missile or drone it destroys. While such headlines grab attention, Wes Rumbaugh, a fellow at the Center for Strategic and International Studies, argues this approach paints an incomplete and potentially misleading picture. In a recent analysis, he delves deeper, urging a more nuanced understanding of the complex factors at play.

Rumbaugh acknowledges the cost disparity between interceptors and their targets. Technical demands make interceptors inherently expensive, requiring exceptional speed, range, and guidance capabilities to successfully engage incoming threats. However, he emphasizes that focusing solely on this cost exchange ratio ignores crucial aspects:

https://alert5.com/2024/02/15/assessing-the-true-value-of-air-and-missile-defense-intercepts-in-the-red-sea/#more-98761
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson