Author Topic: New Hampshire Anti-Sanctuary Push Embodies the Spirit of, “If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try A  (Read 168 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
New Hampshire Anti-Sanctuary Push Embodies the Spirit of, “If At First You Don’t Succeed, Try, Try Again.”
February 08, 2024

With President Biden refusing to fix — in fact facilitating — the largest border crisis in American history,   stopping sanctuary policies at the local and state level to mitigate impact and protect citizens seems like a no-brainer. After all, if the federal government won’t act, states should and increasingly are, i.e. Texas.

In New Hampshire, Republicans are taking a similar “if they won’t, we will” approach by re-introducing anti-sanctuary legislation despite previous efforts passing in one chamber and not the other in 2022 and 2023. Their persistence is admirable, the bill solid, and their rationale for enhancing public interest sound. Unfortunately, a small but clamorous minority of special interests using flawed arguments won’t make things any easier this time around either.

As legislation goes, New Hampshire Senate Bill 563 is relatively short and to-the-point, a model of efficiency, reflecting perhaps the economy of words New Englanders are known for. Two clear and succinct provisions, in particular, reflect the bill’s totality:

https://www.fairus.org/blog/2024/02/08/new-hampshire-anti-sanctuary-push-embodies-spirit-if-first-you-dont-succeed-try-try
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson