Author Topic: Judge denies Texas AG Ken Paxton’s bid to head off his criminal trial  (Read 515 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Courthouse News by Cameron Langford 2/16/2024

Paxton's defense team expressed confidence Friday that the attorney general will be acquitted of charges that have dogged him since 2015.

A Texas judge on Friday rejected state Attorney General Ken Paxton’s motion to dismiss his securities fraud indictments, setting the stage for his long-anticipated trial.
Serving his third term as the Lone Star State’s chief law enforcement officer, Paxton, 61, moved on Feb. 6 to dismiss his indictments on two first-degree felony charges of securities fraud and a third-degree felony charge of failing to register with state securities regulators.

If convicted, Paxton faces up to 99 years in prison.

Paxton is accused of fraudulently selling stock of the software company Servergy Inc. to two investors in July 2011 without disclosing that he would be paid commissions.
Paxton also did not disclose that he himself had not invested in the now-defunct firm — though he touted it as a great company.

A Republican and staunch supporter of former President Donald Trump, Paxton claimed the eight-year delay since he was indicted by a Collin County grand jury in August 2015 — shortly after he first took office as AG — had violated his Sixth Amendment right to a speedy trial.

Wearing a dark blue suit with stripes of the tiny words “not guilty” stitched in white thread, Paxton attorney Dan Cogdell blamed special prosecutors Brian Wice and Kent Schaffer for delaying the case by disputing the pay rate they are receiving for their legal work.

“That is what this food fight has been all about," Cogdell told Harris County 185th District Court Judge Andrea Beall, a Democrat. "Never in my 42 years of practicing law have I seen a case paused by a fee dispute."

Based on a pay rate of $300 per hour, the Collin County Commissioners Court — the elected executive board of the North Texas county where Paxton was indicted — approved paying a first bill of $242,000 submitted by the special prosecutors for pretrial work in January 2016. At the time, that legal team included Wice, Schaffer and Nicole DeBorde Hochglaube, a third special prosecutor who has since withdrawn from the case.

More: https://www.courthousenews.com/judge-denies-texas-ag-ken-paxtons-bid-to-head-off-his-criminal-trial/

Offline libertybele

Re: Judge denies Texas AG Ken Paxton’s bid to head off his criminal trial
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2024, 02:18:31 pm »
 :bkmk:
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2024, 02:32:22 pm »
Anything tried in Travis or Harris County is wrought with danger for any GOP pol.  He really needs to file for a change of venue, at the very least.

I've seen watched similar SEC cases, that really mostly hinge on whether criminal convictions are contingent on financial gain with intent to financially gain fraudluently.  Otherwise, the lack of filing would/should just end up in an nominal fine based on frgetfullness or record keeping error.

Considering the circumstances too, I find the jurisdictional applications odd.  Either Paxton apparently only broke  state statutes, or the SEC didn't think it was worth their time and effort to oopen a case.  And since Paxton is Trump's biggest ally in Texas, I seriously doubt the latter.

I think this has Soros stink all over it much in the same tactics as Fulton County.

« Last Edit: February 17, 2024, 02:34:02 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2024, 02:43:12 pm »
Anything tried in Travis or Harris County is wrought with danger for any GOP pol.  He really needs to file for a change of venue, at the very least.

I've seen watched similar SEC cases, that really mostly hinge on whether criminal convictions are contingent on financial gain with intent to financially gain fraudluently.  Otherwise, the lack of filing would/should just end up in an nominal fine based on frgetfullness or record keeping error.

Considering the circumstances too, I find the jurisdictional applications odd.  Either Paxton apparently only broke  state statutes, or the SEC didn't think it was worth their time and effort to oopen a case.  And since Paxton is Trump's biggest ally in Texas, I seriously doubt the latter.

I think this has Soros stink all over it much in the same tactics as Fulton County.

@catfish1957

Soros seems to have gotten all the "stink of globalism" attached to his name,but he is FAR from being the only billionaire globalist. People like Bill Gates need to be mentioned,also.

I am sure there are also multi-billionaire globalists in other nations that are a part of that globalist billionaire collective also,but I just don't know their names.

Rest assured that Soros is only  the front man,and there are many billionaires in many nations that are co-conspirators.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2024, 03:58:53 pm »
Was Paxton acting as a broker by selling this stock?  I've never read the particulars of this case.

Not that familiar either.  But right now it is World War 3 here in Texas politics between MAGA and Bush factions
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2024, 04:11:03 pm »
Not that familiar either.  But right now it is World War 3 here in Texas politics between MAGA and Bush factions

I truly feel for both Abbott and Paxton as what they are doing cannot be easy and they must be drained from what they are trying to do.  Other governors are helping them, but that isn't keeping the FEDS from suing, nor Soros from paying ILLEGALS to cross and buying judges.

Prayers up for Abbott, Paxton and TX! 
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2024, 04:50:23 pm »
I truly feel for both Abbott and Paxton as what they are doing cannot be easy and they must be drained from what they are trying to do.  Other governors are helping them, but that isn't keeping the FEDS from suing, nor Soros from paying ILLEGALS to cross and buying judges.

Prayers up for Abbott, Paxton and TX!

The infighting within the Texas GOP right now is pretty disheartening considering we are facing the biggest physical threat since statehood.
Inside info I've gotten is that the crazy looking footage of the invasion we get even and only on Fox does not even remotely describe hw bad it is, or give it justice.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2024, 04:59:18 pm »

Basically, RINOs who are political idiots v. RINOs who know how the game is played.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2024, 05:08:21 pm »

Freakin' O'Keefe is too valuable to be taking risks like this.  Cool the jets James.