Author Topic: In shakeup, Army cancels planned scout helo, will retire two drones  (Read 257 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
In shakeup, Army cancels planned scout helo, will retire two drones
After sinking nearly $2 billion into the FARA program, service leaders decide "enduring, unmanned, and space-based assets" would do the job better.
SAM SKOVE | FEBRUARY 8, 2024

The Army will cancel its multi-billion dollar Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft, or FARA, program, officials said Thursday, announcing a slew of aviation-acquisition changes.

The planned scout helicopter is being scuttled to “meet emerging capability requirements in a resource constrained environment,” Army officials said in a press release. “Army leaders assessed that the increased capabilities [FARA] offered could be more affordably and effectively achieved by relying on a mix of enduring, unmanned, and space-based assets.”

Last year, a MITRE report concluded that the Army would struggle to make FARA unmanned before 2040.

https://www.defenseone.com/defense-systems/2024/02/shakeup-army-cancels-planned-fara-helo-will-retire-two-drones/394061/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: In shakeup, Army cancels planned scout helo, will retire two drones
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 03:32:27 pm »
They can't spend that much on national defense when there are so many illegal alien mouths to feed! :grouphug:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 05:53:42 pm »
"Space based assetts" can't fire mini-guns or rockets in support of US troops that might be pinned down on the ground.

Not that Miss Miley and ass give a damn. After all,it won't be THEM fighting and dying,and there are kickbbacks to be "earned" from the space industry.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2024, 07:04:09 pm »
"Space based assetts" can't fire mini-guns or rockets in support of US troops that might be pinned down on the ground.

Not that Miss Miley and ass give a damn. After all,it won't be THEM fighting and dying,and there are kickbbacks to be "earned" from the space industry.
Yeah, and they can't retire the A-10 fast enough.

Wonder why enlistment is down?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2024, 09:34:39 pm »
Yeah, and they can't retire the A-10 fast enough.

Wonder why enlistment is down?

@Smokin Joe

New enlistees don't know diddly-squad about things like A-10 Warthogs,but you can bet that the serving infantry  types know all  about it,and who  can blame them for dropping out to work in the civilian world once this crap starts happening?

No big deal,right? After all,who needs experienced NCO's in combat commands?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!