Author Topic: Morale: Corruption Continues to Cripple Russian Forces  (Read 246 times)

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Morale: Corruption Continues to Cripple Russian Forces
« on: February 16, 2024, 03:02:29 pm »
Morale: Corruption Continues to Cripple Russian Forces

February 11, 2024: One generally ignored reason for the poor performance of Russian troops in Ukraine is the endemic corruption in the Russian military. These wasteful practices have been around for a long time and explain the tradition of poor performance by the Russian military. Young men from wealthy families can buy their way out of dangerous situations, like being sent to a combat zone. That costs about $500. If you do end up in a combat zone, paying the right person over $10,000 will get you a certificate of combat injuries and a medical certificate that gets you out of the military. If you stay in uniform, you can obtain various forms of special treatment by paying bribes. It costs nearly a thousand dollars to get extended leave from military service to visit family and friends. While in uniform you can pay bribes to obtain promotions, certificates of physical fitness or a military driver’s license for those who really don’t know how to drive. Bribes will get you out of trouble for being caught with a cell phone in a combat zone. If you are caught drunk on duty, a few hundred dollars to whoever caught you to make the problem go away.

Most Russian soldiers don’t have access to the kind of cash required to bribe their way out of trouble or danger. Poor soldiers die while soldiers with wealthy parents not only survive but come home with purchased certificates of honorable combat service.

Bribes are also used to avoid unpleasant or embarrassing discussions. For example, a decade ago there was an effort to modernize the military. That included developing methods to reduce corruption. It turned out that there was no practical way to decrease or eliminate corruption because too many people in the military or corrupt and ineffective defense industries grew prosperous from the bribes.

https://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htmoral/articles/20240211.aspx
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Morale: Corruption Continues to Cripple Russian Forces
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2024, 03:05:07 pm »
Our military isn't that bad, but the organization that exerts control over it, is.  The congress uses the military as poker chips to grow individual power and wealth.  Eventually, all shit flows downhill.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Morale: Corruption Continues to Cripple Russian Forces
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2024, 07:14:04 pm »
Poor soldiers die while soldiers with wealthy parents not only survive but come home with purchased certificates of honorable combat service.

I have heard that somewhere before...and not about Russia, but as part of the demoralizing tsunami from domestic media aimed at our troops.

Whether it is a universal trait of militaries and their government overlords, well, human nature is what it is, but I would at least hope the Services are/were more based on merit.

But then I recall that scum, like cream, rises to the top...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis