Author Topic: Britain’s latest ‘Mickey Mouse’ degree shows our universities have become a joke  (Read 214 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Britain’s latest ‘Mickey Mouse’ degree shows our universities have become a joke
Story by Isolde Walters  •
19h

I regret my degree. There, I said it. And I doubt I’m alone.

I studied English literature at King’s College London and had a pleasant enough time gallivanting around the capital, doing an awful lot of partying and squeezing in some reading too. Did those studies set me up for my career? I don’t think so.

Do I consider those three years worth the £250 syphoned out of every monthly pay packet? Absolutely not.

But my goodness I got off lightly compared to the students of today. While my debt will be wiped 25 years after my first repayment (so when I’m 47), students who enrolled at university last September won’t see their debt written off for an almighty 40 years, meaning that many of them will be paying those loans off when they are in their 60s.

With graduates now facing loan repayments into retirement, is it not sensible – ethical, even – to question the wisdom of pushing young people into higher education? Particularly when there appears to be a rising number of questionable courses being sold at our universities such as circus-theatre performance and the science of surfing.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/lifestyle-buzz/britain-s-latest-mickey-mouse-degree-shows-our-universities-have-become-a-joke/ar-BB1ikEfG?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=475d377f66b54597b296c49cd183a233&ei=71
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson