Author Topic: Beverly Hills in Crisis as Judge Mandates New Affordable Housing: "People Are Furious"  (Read 594 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Beverly Hills in Crisis as Judge Mandates New Affordable Housing: "People Are Furious"

For inhabitants of the country's most sought-after ZIP code, the unwelcome news came in December: In a move to pressure the city to zone for more affordable housing, a restrictive ruling by a Superior Court judge put a moratorium on Beverly Hills' right to approve any new home additions or project proposals by residents pending the approval of new homes for lower-income locals. In this ultra-exclusive community, where home remodeling is practically a sport, the notion that all renovations - from simple kitchen remodels to multimillion-dollar grotto installations - would require the ushering in of outsiders, or be delayed indefinitely, brought a particular unease.

That unease has turned to outrage for many living in the 5.71 square miles that make up the famed city, where rents and mortgages are more than double the national average. Following Superior Court Judge Curtis A. Kin's Dec. 23 ruling, the city now finds itself fully entrenched in a battle over what's become an urgent issue across many U.S. cities: the demand for significant and meaningful affordable housing projects. Many residents - already wary of the added foot traffic that will follow the opening of the Wilshire/Rodeo Metro station - just want the status quo to remain in Beverly Hills. Some argue that Beverly Hills simply does not have the space to accommodate any new housing at all - affordable or not.

"People are furious, they're infuriated that a judge has the right to put a moratorium on residents on something that's not their fight and not their fault," Aaron Kirman, a Beverly Hills resident who represents exclusive properties across L.A. and appears on CNBC's real estate reality series Listing Impossible, tells The Hollywood Reporter. "The reality is, Beverly Hills doesn't have much land. I think that [Judge Kin] put everybody in a very complicated and compromising situation."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/realestate/beverly-hills-in-crisis-as-judge-mandates-new-affordable-housing-people-are-furious/ar-BB1ilIlR?ocid=msedgntp&pc=HCTS&cvid=475d377f66b54597b296c49cd183a233&ei=37
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
 :mauslaff: Here are the results of all those left coast liberals supporting illegal immigration! :laughingdog:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
When the 'N' falls off of NIMBY... :whistle: :thud: :tongue2:
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline mountaineer

Still waiting for them to move a few dozen illegals into one of Barbra Streisand's homes.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline PeteS in CA

I live some 400 miles away - geographically, much farther economically and culturally - but even from afar I can foresee an increase in remodels being done without permits.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Millee

Fear not though, the Beverly Hills residents will still fund raise and vote for the demonrats.  *****rollingeyes*****