Author Topic: Are Marines relying more on the CH-53E helicopters while their Ospreys are grounded?  (Read 204 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Are Marines relying more on the CH-53E helicopters while their Ospreys are grounded?
“Removing V-22s from the list produces a tremendous level of reliance on one large, aging platform.”

BY JEFF SCHOGOL | PUBLISHED FEB 13, 2024 5:20 PM EST

The recent crash of a Marine Corps CH-53E Super Stallion helicopter that killed five Marines took place amid the ongoing stand down of all military V-22 Ospreys. The result, say Marine aviation experts, has almost certainly increased the usage of the aging CH-53E fleet.

The Marine Corps’ roughly 360 MV-22B Ospreys, along with the Navy and Air Force’s Ospreys, have been grounded since an Air Force version of the aircraft crashed in November, killing all eight crewmembers aboard.

The MV-22Bs have been a workhorse for the Marines since they replaced the Corps’ CH-46 Sea Knight helicopters, which were retired in 2015.

Marine Col. Matthew Danner, head of the 31st Marine Expeditionary Unit, told reporters in January that his unit had to rely more on older CH-53E Super Stallion heavy lift helicopters because the Corps’ Ospreys had been grounded.

https://taskandpurpose.com/news/marines-osprey-super-stallion/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
They would be damned stupid if they aren't.
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Almost certainly.

As Ed Sullivan used to say,"The show must go on!",and the Marine grunts can't flap their arms and fly anywhere.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!