Author Topic: Houthi rebels present little threat to undersea cables, US admiral says  (Read 182 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Houthi rebels present little threat to undersea cables, US admiral says
By Colin Demarest
 Feb 14, 04:08 PM

SAN DIEGO — Threats by Houthi rebels based in Yemen to slice a lattice of undersea cables in the Red Sea region, jeopardizing communications and financial data, are unrealistic, according to the commander of the Office of U.S. Naval Intelligence.

Veiled threats were published on social media channels associated with the Iran-backed militant group in December and were later amplified by Hezbollah, according to the Middle East Media Research Institute. The posts featured maps of the area, including the Bab-el-Mandeb Strait, where fiber-optic cables run, and chatter about international connectivity.

Asked at the West conference in San Diego if he thought such threats were realistic — if extremists could execute such sabotage — U.S. Navy Rear Adm. Michael Brookes said: “I’m not so sure it is.”

“The Russian Navy remains the greatest threat to the U.S. in the undersea domain,” said Brookes, whose organization collects, analyzes and distributes intelligence about foreign forces. Brookes was named commander in July.

https://www.c4isrnet.com/information-warfare/2024/02/14/houthi-rebels-present-little-threat-to-undersea-cables-us-admiral-says/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Houthi rebels present little threat to undersea cables, US admiral says
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2024, 03:26:37 pm »
This is military speak for they will sabotage it at some point, we don't have a clue how to stop it though. :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Online DefiantMassRINO

Re: Houthi rebels present little threat to undersea cables, US admiral says
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 04:56:06 pm »
The Houthi's are backstopped by the Iranians, thus, also the Russians.  The Iranians and the Russians may have provided the Houthi's capabilities we are unaware of.

They'll find a means to cut the cables to embarass the US military and intelligence services.  Houthi imaginations may be more creative than the US Military's imagination.

Flying commerical airliners into buildings was also thought to be unlikely, until it was done.

Attacking Pearl Harbor was thought unlikely, until it was done.

The capture of Singapore was thought unlikely until it was done.

Underestimating your enemy is never a good strategy.  Jake Sullivan is a dick.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.