Author Topic: UAE restricts US ability to launch retaliatory airstrikes against Iran proxies  (Read 364 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
UAE restricts US ability to launch retaliatory airstrikes against Iran proxies
Other Arab countries are restricting operations as well, according to people familiar with the matter.

By LARA SELIGMAN, ALEXANDER WARD and NAHAL TOOSI

02/14/2024 02:37 PM EST

Some Arab countries, including the United Arab Emirates, are increasingly restricting the U.S. from using military facilities on their soil to launch retaliatory airstrikes on Iranian proxies, according to four people familiar with the issue.

The U.S. has long deployed thousands of troops at facilities in the UAE, Kuwait, Oman, Qatar and elsewhere in the Middle East, and the Arab countries’ role in supporting U.S. military activities has come under intensified scrutiny since the Israel-Hamas war that erupted in October.

The conflict has pitted Arab governments’ interests in assuaging their citizens’ anger toward Israel against their desire to help Washington fend off Iranian-backed attacks. The restrictions on U.S. activities on their soil reflect Arab calculations on how supportive they can be — without angering Iran.

The news that some countries are restricting access is based on information from a U.S. official, a congressional aide and two Western officials, all of whom were granted anonymity to discuss a sensitive security issue.

https://www.politico.com/news/2024/02/14/united-arab-emirates-retaliatory-airstrikes-iran-00141460
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
I wonder how the under the table office of the Secretary of State is paying them to make things tougher on our military so Biden is hidden from approving it publicly? :pondering:
« Last Edit: February 15, 2024, 03:22:35 pm by rangerrebew »
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline DefiantMassRINO

They fear that Iran and its proxies will set their attention to attacking any nation that assists the West attack the Houthis.  Iran must be providing fair warning to its neighbors.
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
So tell the UAE that we are just fine with their decision, and just to make sure there are no future problems...adios muchachos! We don't want to be anywhere we are not welcome, hope everything works out OK between you and the Ayatollah :seeya:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So tell the UAE that we are just fine with their decision, and just to make sure there are no future problems...adios muchachos! We don't want to be anywhere we are not welcome, hope everything works out OK between you and the Ayatollah :seeya:
I think that would be the choice choice.
Don't forget to demolish everything on the way out, and say AMF to the UAE.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis