Author Topic: My historical research gravely offended Putin. He wants revenge  (Read 423 times)

Online Timber Rattler

• Conservative Purist and Patriot
My historical research gravely offended Putin. He wants revenge
« on: February 14, 2024, 06:09:06 pm »
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2024/02/13/my-historical-research-gravely-offended-putin-he-wants-reve/

What have I done to be placed on the sanctions list of the Russian Foreign Ministry, alongside several distinguished historians of eastern Europe?

My normal hunting ground (not the right word for a maritime historian) is the Mediterranean and the oceans beyond. But maybe Russia’s mandarins know that I am now writing about the Black Sea.

Since the reign of Peter the Great in the 18th century, Russia has seen the Black Sea as a vital gateway to the wider world. The Ottoman sultans blocked Russian attempts to reach warmer waters via Istanbul. Russian ships bound for intended conquests had to creak their way out of the Baltic, entering the Mediterranean at Gibraltar.

The search for Mediterranean harbours became a central theme of Russia’s foreign policy, and Putin has not lost sight of it. Witness the Russian naval base at Tartus in Syria, not far from the British Sovereign Base Areas in Cyprus.

The inclusion of historians on the latest list of people who are persona non grata reflects Putin’s certainty that he is Russia’s best historian. But is he? Much turns on the question of the origins of Russia. Was the early medieval principality of Rus a Slavonic foundation, as Putin told Tucker Carlson, or was it founded by Viking warriors?

EXCERPT
aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

"If you want peace, prepare for war." ---Flavius Vegetius Renatus

Online Timber Rattler

Re: My historical research gravely offended Putin. He wants revenge
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 06:14:23 pm »
Flashback to July 2022:

Censorship prevents Russia-Ukraine War Factbook from advertising on Facebook, Twitter

https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2022/07/censorship_prevents_emrussiaukraine_war_factbookem_from_advertising_on_facebook_twitter.html?mibextid=FrZHod&fs=e&s=cl&fbclid=IwAR3Z6IRKh1X9ImvuzfUyJP4egQrEuowVf6hopy3G6eGNQ0bRXm22KEHciGg

If you think your social media experience is unimpeded, we have proof to the contrary.  Just before the Fourth of July, Military Miniature Press announced the reveal of The Russia-Ukraine War Factbook, a comprehensive and unobstructed guide to the ongoing conflict.  As we describe it, the book is an "objective look" at the war, geared not by propaganda or political influence, but by facts.  Yet when we tried to advertise the book on Facebook and Twitter, we received the same response — it fell under a blanket ban merely for being about the Russia-Ukraine War.

We're not ignorant of the fact that propaganda does exist, and the censorship of topics relating to the war is a direct response to it, but how is one supposed to better understand the conflict if the actual facts are being hidden from the public?  And with how much the United States is investing in the war (hint: it's in the billions), it seems appropriate that the American people know and understand what their taxpayer dollars are being put toward.

We launched preorders of The Russia-Ukraine War knowing there would be some pushback.  We expected a few scattered voices suspicious of the political agenda and were prepared to educate, but we were not ready to be completely blockaded from the public's eye.  We worked closely with author Craig Reed, Jr. to guarantee that this book isn't pushing an agenda.  We understood the lack of information available to the public and now completely see why there are many without even rudimentary comprehension of why the war even started.

This degree of censorship has been going on for some time with all manner of topics, but what's strange about the Russia-Ukraine War blocks is that, toward the beginning of the conflict, there were no limits.  Hashtags weren't banned, and you could talk freely without worrying about your post being lost in the ether that is the social media blacklist.  You may still see posts and news stories about the conflict, but what you're getting is a very surface-level view of an incredibly complex and lengthy relationship between two nations.  We had hoped that The Russia-Ukraine War Factbook would blow away the fog of war and provide the general public with the information they weren't seeing.

Unfortunately, with major outlets like Twitter and Facebook working against our marketing plan, we fear that the factual and well researched information we had to share will continue to be largely unseen by the general public.  And that's the issue with a blanket ban on something.  Sure, you cut down on propaganda posts, but you also sever a chain of information — one that could be critical in informing the public about an ongoing and important issue.

Of course, this isn't us waving the white flag.  We stand by the factbook and Reed's work and will continue to push back against Facebook and Twitter's near authoritarian control of information.  For as long as the United States is shelling out billions to Ukraine, its citizens shouldn't have to struggle to understand what that money is being used for.  We're not suggesting anything nefarious on the government's end, but it's merely the principle that we have an easy-to-read guide to the Russia-Ukraine War, and the outlets that tout the truth are our biggest adversary.

aka "nasty degenerate SOB," "worst of the worst at Free Republic," "Garbage Troll," "Neocon Warmonger," "Filthy Piece of Trash," "damn $#%$#@!," "Silly f'er," "POS," "war pig," "neocon scumbag," "insignificant little ankle nipper," "@ss-clown," "neocuck," "termite," "Uniparty Deep stater," "Never Trump sack of dog feces," "avid Bidenista," "filthy Ukrainian," "war whore," "fricking chump," psychopathic POS, and depraved SOB.

"In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act."  ---George Orwell

Offline DefiantMassRINO

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2024, 06:15:52 pm »
Settlements, forts, and trading posts have been founded or subsumed temporarily by Vikings, but the permanent language and the alphabet is Slavonic.

Is Putin attempting to create a mythical origin story to proport the Russians to be a superior race, just as Hitler used Aryanism to the same effect?
Self-Anointed Deplorable Expert Chowderhead Pundit
I reserve my God-given rights to be wrong and to be stupid at all times.

"If at first you don’t succeed, destroy all evidence that you tried." - Steven Wright

Comrades, I swear on Trump's soul that I am not working from a CIA troll farm in Kiev.

Online Timber Rattler

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2024, 06:31:10 pm »
Settlements, forts, and trading posts have been founded or subsumed temporarily by Vikings, but the permanent language and the alphabet is Slavonic.

Is Putin attempting to create a mythical origin story to proport the Russians to be a superior race, just as Hitler used Aryanism to the same effect?

That's exactly what he's trying to do.  Early on though, early in the conflict, Russian trolls shut down any and all attempts to get real historical information out about Ukraine and Russia by filing false reports of "disinformation" and "propaganda," and big tech meekly complied without a wimper.

Here's another flashback: 

Russia Intensifies Censorship Campaign, Pressuring Tech Giants

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/02/26/technology/russia-censorship-tech.html

4 Reasons Why Putin’s War Has Changed Big Tech Forever

https://foreignpolicy.com/2022/03/29/ukraine-war-russia-putin-big-tech-social-media-internet-platforms/

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2024, 06:54:19 pm »
Putin will always be a USSR KGB guy, complete with fabricated history, if deemed necessary.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org