Author Topic: Lighten the load: The Army’s plan to save time by shedding excess gear  (Read 178 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor

Lighten the load: The Army’s plan to save time by shedding excess gear
By Todd South
 Feb 13, 09:36 AM

The days of stuffing Conex boxes full of any and all gear on hand and shipping them to a combat zone are over.

The Army wants sleeker formations. The service is modernizing everything from night vision and rifles to tanks and artillery. There’s no more room in the supply section for unused gear that’s piled up over the recent wars.

And that gear is more than an eyesore: it’s a time suck.

As the service prepares for the possibility of a conventional war, the one thing soldiers can’t spare is time.

Every set of outdated optics, old M4s or obsolete radios add up to days each month that soldiers have to drag out, inventory and maintain gear they don’t use. And those days rob soldiers of training time on basic skills and new equipment needed to fight the next war.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2024/02/13/lighten-the-load-the-armys-plan-to-save-time-by-shedding-excess-gear/
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Re: Lighten the load: The Army’s plan to save time by shedding excess gear
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 02:54:10 pm »
By excess gear do they mean like tanks, helicopters, Humvees, mortars, etc. like they did in Afghanistan? :whistle:
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson