Author Topic: Navy Surging C-2A Greyhounds as V-22 Groundings Continue  (Read 332 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• TBR Contributor
Navy Surging C-2A Greyhounds as V-22 Groundings Continue
« on: February 14, 2024, 02:29:40 pm »
Navy Surging C-2A Greyhounds as V-22 Groundings Continue
SAM LAGRONE
FEBRUARY 13, 2024 4:42 PM - UPDATED: FEBRUARY 13, 2024 6:19 PM

SAN DIEGO – The uncertainty of the return of the V-22 tiltrotor to full operations is prompting the Navy to rethink its plans on how it resupplies its fleet of aircraft carriers in the short term with more uncertainty in the long term, the head of U.S. naval aviation said on Tuesday.

The service initially planned to retire its remaining 15 remaining C-2A Greyhound carrier onboard delivery aircraft over the next two years and replace them with a total of 38 CMV-22B Ospreys.

“Lucky for the Navy the C-2 Greyhound is still available,” Air Boss Vice Adm. Daniel Cheever said in a panel at the WEST 2024 conference, co-hosted by the U.S. Naval Institute and AFCEA.
“Limited operational impacts at this point but there are still operational impacts. And as you look into the future, significant operational impacts.”

As part of the planned retirement for the Greyhounds, the Navy has stopped training new C-2 pilots and has begun to wind down spares and logistic support for the 60-year-old design.

https://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php?action=post;board=60.0
The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbor to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg.
Thomas Jefferson

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Navy Surging C-2A Greyhounds as V-22 Groundings Continue
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2024, 03:14:11 pm »
More times than not,it seems like nobody in government has ever heard of the old saying that states "If it ain't broke,don't "fix" it!"

On top of that,look at all the taxpayer money that will be saved by  NOT trashing existing systems that work perfectly in order to replace them with a shiny new system that does the same job,but at 4 times the expense?
« Last Edit: February 14, 2024, 03:15:29 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2024, 11:14:11 am »
A perfect example, the C-130 and the B-52.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2024, 04:35:39 pm »
A perfect example, the C-130 and the B-52.

@ironhorsedriver

Maybe even THE perfect example.

Anybody that thinks the government didn't get their money's worth from buying C-123's,C-130's,and B-52's,just doesn't know anything about military aircraft.

BTW,my team was once surrounded by NVA regulars,and when the radio op called for aerial help,the first thing that showed up was a B-52,cruising above us so low you could see the bomb bay doors were open.

No,he couldn't drop any bombs because the bombs he carried were so big they would have killed us too,but the NVA was VERY aware of what a B-52 could do,and you could hear the VN equivalent of "YIKES!" as they turned around and beat feet to get the HELL off THAT hill.

It wasn't long before the fighter bombers and SPADS showed up to take over the show,but it was that big-ass B-52 flying in slow circles right above us that were really responsible for saving our asses. I am not sure,but I suspect that command pilot got into a little bit of trouble for that.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!